Pellicle formation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
If a pellicle is to occur, how long can one take to form?

I have an experiment running with three 1 gallon growlers. The beer is an ESB that despite over 3 months of aging tastes like soap.

I have inoculated each of the three growlers with some different bugs.

#1 Brett C.
#2 Lactobacillus delbrueckii
#3 WL Belgian Sour Mix (includes Sacch C., Brett C., Lacto, and Pedio)

The beer had been kegged and carbed, however, over the course of about a week and a half, it was allowed to warm, and the co2 was released daily.

It is my understanding that bacteria doesn't need any o2, so the lacto and pedio, should survive in the wort, or am I mistaken?

The Brett C. needs lower levels of o2, but will an open fermentation, such as a foil cap on a growler allow gas exchange, or is the chance of the Brett C. staying dormant more likely because there is absolutely no oxygen dissolved in solution?

There is more on my experiment here.

I have never made a sour beer, or attempted anything like this especially when it comes to a beer that has been previoulsy carbed, therefore I am in uncharted waters, does anyone have any input?

I pitched bugs into my Kriek and it took a very long time for a pellicle to form. I pitched my bugs on 12/08 and today the pellicle is still there and has not dropped. I wish it would because I want to rack this onto cherries for awhile.

Brett and Acetobacter both need oxygen. You might want to put some loose foil on the tops. I've seen it take up to 4 months for a pellicle to form and that's in a barrel.

Brett and Acetobacter both need oxygen. You might want to put some loose foil on the tops. I've seen it take up to 4 months for a pellicle to form and that's in a barrel.

Thanks Bobby, thats more of an answer I was looking for. I do have foil caps on top.

IMG_1204.JPG

Back