Cider vs Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bush_84

Reaction score
Ok so this is something that I have been thinking about. I'm still a nub. I am currently making a brew out of a mixed berry juice. I put about 1 lb if sugar into it. So the ABV will be comparatively low. It does have some cider in it, but it also has a ton of other things. So what category does this fall into? It doesn't feel like a cider, but on the other hand don't all wines have a higher ABV? I guess I was thinking that it was just a low ABV wine and that the ABV only matters when considering apple wine vs cider. Thanks!

Pretty sure its just the fruit. Cider= apples. Wine can be made from any number of fruits at varying strengths. The most popular being grapes.

From the 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines

"2B Fruit Cider: This is a cider with other fruits or fruit-juices added - for example,
berry. Note that a “cider” made from a combination of apple and
pear juice would be entered in this category since it is neither cider
nor perry."

If you get the ABV up in to 12% range I would call it wine.
"28C Applwine: The term for this category is traditional but possibly misleading: it is
simply a cider with substantial added sugar to achieve higher alcohol
than a common cider."

I think you should call it "The 84 Bushwacker"

Ya I kind of messed up my first cider. As a nub I thought, "hey the more sugar the better!" So to my apple cider I added like 5-6 lbs of sugar as well as 3 lbs of honey. Will have to see how The 84 Bushwacker turns out in a year after it simmers!!!

How many gallons? In five gallons, that's not excessive. I have a blackberry wine that used 12 lbs of sugar in 5 gallons.

Well I'm not one to take high ABV drinks. In my first attempt at a "cider" I used 5 gallons of apple juice, 4 lbs brown sugar, 2 lbs cane sugar, and 3 lbs honey. At that point I have a hard time calling that a cider. My second brew is just mixed berry juice with 1lb of cane sugar.

Back