Prospects of my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExCathedra

Reaction score
So I brewed up my first batch last night and a small amount of sanitizer from the airlock found its way into the fermenter with the wort. The sanitizer was a solution of chlorine and water (1 tbsp. chlorine per gal. water). I figure a half tbsp. or less of solution ended up in the fermenter with the wort. From all that I've heard chlorine contamination should be seriously avoided. Should I expect some funky tastes when it's all said and done?

Thanks.

Hard to tell ... chlorine's something you don't really want to get into your beer (!), but it also seems like a really tiny amount here. I say let it ride and see what you end up with. But my guess is that it'll be fine - great, even.

Also, for the future I'd highly recommend switching to Star san for sanitizing - if that gets into your beer, then no problems. Some people here also put vodka in their airlocks, since it'll basically keep forever, and if it gets into your beer then it's still all good.

Welcome and best of luck.

Would sampling and tasting the brew before racking or bottling give an indication if any off-flavors will be present in the final beer? I assume this is OK -- just beer without any carbonation, right?

I appreciate the replies.

Would sampling and tasting the brew before racking or bottling give an indication if any off-flavors will be present in the final beer? I assume this is OK -- just beer without any carbonation, right.

Maybe, but also maybe not ... beer often tastes dramatically different at these different stages. Sometimes it tastes nasty when bottling but delicious after 3-4 (or 6-7) weeks in the bottle. Honestly, think you just gotta be patient and wait and see what you have at the end.

Best advice I can give is brew another batch soon, so that if the first batch doesn't come out the way you want it, you'll have another one ready in a few weeks!

Back