Brew day - Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amity

Reaction score
Brewed a really good looking beer today! I made the recipe on BeerTools, with some help from the Recipe forum...

0.30 lbs. Belgian Wheat Malt
0.09 lbs. Munich Malt
7.84 lbs. Muntons Dry Extra Light
1.04 lbs. Candi Sugar Clear
1.5 oz. Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.50 oz. Saaz (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.
0.50 oz. Hallertau (Pellets, 4.50 %AA) boiled 1 min.
Yeast : WYeast 1214 Belgian Abbey

OG 1.080

:ban:

Looking for it to finish at 1.012, for 9.0%. I'll see!!! That was a lot of DME, and it didn't clump up too much this time.

Mike

beerexplosion.jpg

24 hours later!!!

I pitched a starter of Wyeast Belgian Abbey Ale and also threw in some Cooper's yeast to help it out (the OG was 1.080)

The hop bits are 8 inches above the level of the liquid!!!

Well, all of that krausen was a good sign! I took a hydro reading today and it's sitting at 1.016!! That's amazing for 4 days in the primary, considering that it started at 1.080.

The krausen has now dropped entirely. I'll give it another 2 weeks on the yeast cake, then I'll rack it to secondary for clearing. It's really cloudy with yeast right now.

Good signs!!

Give it a good rouse at least three times in the next two weeks to help dry it out. Gotta admit the recipe AND pictures are damn sexy!

Yeah, thanks for the tips. I'll make sure those yeasties keep on workin'.

No sleeping on the job!

Back