Technique?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppy

Reaction score
I have resurrected my big ole cooler and have found my roll of flexible copper tubing. I am missing my filter, CO2 tank with regulator, carboys and cola syrup kegs.

Before I hunt for replacements for this stuff, is there anything innovative in the infusion/step mash procedure that would take me out of my 6-hour brew day?

Thanks, guys!

I'm back after a 5 year break and have found that batch sparging, braided stainles steel mashtun filter, and single step mashing are the new black.

Grains are pretty much all fully malted so adding enough water for a single step infusion is all you need. No need to spend 6 hours mashing

Instead of trickle sparging, drain, add a couple of gallons of 170' water, mix, volfor, drain, repeat until X gallons. Faster than trickle

Replace the copper slooted mashtun manifold with a braided stainless steel water line from a washing mashinte (new). push the braided SS together then push it through the SS. Otherwise it acts like a chinise finger trap. Use Stainless claps to secure it to your copper T fitting. Supposed to clear up quicker than copper tubing.

Welcome to the 21 century of homebrewing.

hoppy said:
Before I hunt for replacements for this stuff, is there anything innovative in the infusion/step mash procedure that would take me out of my 6-hour brew day?

malt extract;)

Kai

gg is right. The malts available today make single step mashing possible in about 30 minutes. I also batch sparge, which lets you start heating the wort without dividing your attention. My typical AG batch runs 3 hours.

I'm a novice and my full batch takes 4 hours from working out the water volumes, setting my gear up to packing the stuff away.

I like brew days because it means I have recreational time.

Back