Bottling Dry Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpetrello

Reaction score
Hey Cider Makers,

After a bit of experience with beer making, I've decided to try my hand at cider.

I don't have any kegging equipment (I bottle condition all of my beers, and actually prefer/enjoy it this way - unlike many, I find the bottling process very cathartic), and while I appreciate a dry cider, I didn't want something that was going to taste like prison hooch for the first year. After researching options, I settled on a slightly modified, halved batch of the famous Graff recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

Here's my variation (~2.5 gallon batch):
.4lb of Crystal 90L (steeped)
1 oz torrified wheat (steeped)
2 gallons of apple juice
.5 gallons of water
1 lb extra light DME

0.25 oz of US Cascade @~4.5AAU
Wyeast 4766 - http://www.wyeastlab.com/he_c_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=62

The original gravity was just above 1.060. After two months and two weeks at a steady 68dF, the gravity has arrived at 1.006. The cider is very clear (much more so than any beer I've ever produced), and shows zero signs of activity.

It smells quite alcoholic, but it tastes *fantastic* - perfectly dry, and a very slight hint of sweetness. However, I'd like to carb it up just a bit (not sparkling, just a fizz).

If I want to bottle this, is it safe at this gravity, or should I wait it out for further fermentation? I've read that ciders can generally ferment down to below 1.000, but a notable portion of my recipe is *not* apple juice, but extract, so I'm curious if I should expect much more progress past 1.006.

If I decide to bottle, should I add any priming sugar (how much for a 2.5 gallon batch), or just let it carbonate slowly over time with whatever residual sugar remains? I've read horror stories of bottle bombs with cider, but they generally seem to be caused by people who attempt to bottle *sweet* cider that has not fully fermented. I've also read plenty of people that have had good experiences bottling at final gravities several points higher than mine.

Please offer your advice, and help me not blow my hand(s) off.

I'd use about 1.5oz of corn sugar. That should give it a little fizz. And its not uncommon for graff style ciders to finish where yours did.

Hey Cider Makers,

After a bit of experience with beer making, I've decided to try my hand at cider.

I don't have any kegging equipment (I bottle condition all of my beers, and actually prefer/enjoy it this way - unlike many, I find the bottling process very cathartic), and while I appreciate a dry cider, I didn't want something that was going to taste like prison hooch for the first year. After researching options, I settled on a slightly modified, halved batch of the famous Graff recipe:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

Here's my variation (~2.5 gallon batch):
.4lb of Crystal 90L (steeped)
1 oz torrified wheat (steeped)
2 gallons of apple juice
.5 gallons of water
1 lb extra light DME

0.25 oz of US Cascade @~4.5AAU
Wyeast 4766 - http://www.wyeastlab.com/he_c_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=62

The original gravity was just above 1.060. After two months and two weeks at a steady 68dF, the gravity has arrived at 1.006. The cider is very clear (much more so than any beer I've ever produced), and shows zero signs of activity.

It smells quite alcoholic, but it tastes *fantastic* - perfectly dry, and a very slight hint of sweetness. However, I'd like to carb it up just a bit (not sparkling, just a fizz).

If I want to bottle this, is it safe at this gravity, or should I wait it out for further fermentation? I've read that ciders can generally ferment down to below 1.000, but a notable portion of my recipe is *not* apple juice, but extract, so I'm curious if I should expect much more progress past 1.006.

If I decide to bottle, should I add any priming sugar (how much for a 2.5 gallon batch), or just let it carbonate slowly over time with whatever residual sugar remains? I've read horror stories of bottle bombs with cider, but they generally seem to be caused by people who attempt to bottle *sweet* cider that has not fully fermented. I've also read plenty of people that have had good experiences bottling at final gravities several points higher than mine.

Please offer your advice, and help me not blow my hand(s) off.

i would imagine that this one is done. the gravity points that are left are most likely due to unfermentable dextrines from the dme. i would go ahead and bottle it using a priming calculator such as this one:

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

now i'm not a cider master, but i've done the graff at least a half dozen times and this seems like a normal FG for it, though i'm not familiar with that particular yeast strain. i usually use an ale yeast. i've had great luck with danstar windsor, s-04, and wyeast 3944 believe it or not, but for graff you would normally choose an ale yeast with medium attenuation, for future brews.

@FromZwolle

See, I was skeptical about Wyeast 4766 as well, but my LHBS owner insisted, and, having tasted it earlier this evening, I'm *very* satisfied with the way it turned out.

@FromZwolle

See, I was skeptical about Wyeast 4766 as well, but my LHBS owner insisted, and, having tasted it earlier this evening, I'm *very* satisfied with the way it turned out.

good to know. that's how i was about the wyeast 3499, but i had some in stock that i wanted one more use out of, and it was great. a very different take on cider.

It's interesting - I've seen more than one thread here that suggested Wyeast 4766 wasn't a great choice. Perhaps it's more pronounced in sweet ciders? I'd definitely use it again for dry ciders.

Latest posts

Back