Beer Line Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskysibe

Reaction score
I wasnt sure what size beer line to get so I looked at kegcowboys kits and they had 1/4" lines so I ordered that size line. Now I am reading many pages here that say 3/16" line. Did I buy the wrong size? Does it make much of a difference? What to do?!

Billy

It all comes down to balancing the resistance of the line to the faucet with the carbonation pressure of the brew, and the fact is 3/16" ID line has significantly higher resistance per foot than 1/4" ID line. If it takes roughly 10 feet of 3/16" line to prevent gas breakout at the faucet, it'll take a lot more 1/4" line...

Cheers

[edit] Check out this pdf file - the table at the bottom on various beer line diameters will show what you will be dealing with... http://99-bottles.com/Documents/Line Resistance (C02 Chart).pdf

Dang, my CL find is turning out to be more expensive than if I would have bought a system brand new hehe. Thanks for the info.

Billy

Back