Whole Hops usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Netflyer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks, I am about to use some whole hops for the first time... it is pressed into a brick so it is flaky (like myself) and smells amazing... anyhow I know the AA's so can I just use the same weight as I would with pellets? Should I add 10% more, less, what? I guess beersmith will know, but is there any theory on this?

Thanks!

I've read somewhere that you need to use 10% more, since the pellets are "stronger" but I never do. I usually don't have 10% more available, for one thing! I've had good results using one-for-one substitution, either way.

There are different IBU calculations for whole hops. I don't know if +10% weight would work for all boil times. But they are utilized less, ounce for ounce, than pellets. So, if you substitute them 1:1 in a recipe, your IBUs will be lower.

According to Promash, you get about 10% better utilization from pellet hops vs whole hops, and 2% better from plugs vs whole hops.
I use the same amount for whole or plugs, and cut it back a bit on the rare occasions I use pellets, but in all honesty I don't know if this is necessary.

-a.

There are different IBU calculations for whole hops. I don't know if +10% weight would work for all boil times. But they are utilized less, ounce for ounce, than pellets. So, if you substitute them 1:1 in a recipe, your IBUs will be lower.

Right- but how much lower? In a 40 IBU batch, we're talking about 4 IBUs at most (if 10% is indeed correct for bittering hops). And as you said, maybe not for all boil times because leaf hops do seem to have great flavor and aroma. I'm pretty meticulous with my measuring, but not too worried about this.

When I formulate my recipes, I use the AAU on the hops and call it good. I've done the same recipe with leaf hops and pellet hops, especially during the hop crisis when I was using whatever I could get, and never noticed a difference in the perception of bitterness.

Back