Possibly spoiled yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moonlighter

Reaction score
I began a yeast starter two days ago, a Wyeast British Ale yeast. I created a one quart starter no problem. Today, I added another quart of starter wort to bump up the yeast count when I realized the water I was pouring in was sloshing over the side of the pot on it's way to the funnel, and it had just been in a non-sanitized ice bath. (Next time I'll use some Iodophor solution in the ice bath).

So I figured, RDWHAHB. And I definitely felt better. But I'm curious, will I be able to tell if the yeast starter is bad before I pitch? I plan on brewing Sunday but I'll hold off if the starter is bad. What sort of signs will I have that I have ruined my starter?

That isnt going to be a very friendly environment for an infection to start. Im sure your fine "but" if you want to know if the yeast starter is ruined, just smell it.

If it smells funky, rotten meat or the likes dont use it. If it smells fine it most likely is fine. We all acidentally drop unsanitised things into beer from time to time, doesnt often cause a problem.

Thanks for the help guys,still smelling yeasty so i think i am ok. Although i expected more activity. The dry yeast idea is a good one and I'll pick some up next time at the lhbs.

Back