Dextrose to Keg??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newstrings

Reaction score
I've made several successful batches of IPA which I have been happily kegging each time. The recipe I've been following assumes a bottling method, and calls for adding 4.5 oz of a dextrose simple syrup to the secondary just prior to bottling.

Since I've been kegging, I have followed the recipe, but it seems since I am force carbonating about a week before drinking, that the dextrose is unnecessary. The local brewshop tells me it's still a good idea, however, for final scrubbing of the beer.

Any opinions whether or not the dextrose is good/bad/indifferent for a keg situation? Thanks.

Thanks.

Should the beer still sit in the keg for three weeks, as it would in bottles, if no dextrose is added? Or would it be ready for Co2 sooner?

I've made several successful batches of IPA which I have been happily kegging each time. The recipe I've been following assumes a bottling method, and calls for adding 4.5 oz of a dextrose simple syrup to the secondary just prior to bottling.

Since I've been kegging, I have followed the recipe, but it seems since I am force carbonating about a week before drinking, that the dextrose is unnecessary. The local brewshop tells me it's still a good idea, however, for final scrubbing of the beer.

Any opinions whether or not the dextrose is good/bad/indifferent for a keg situation? Thanks.

I have read that cask conditioning beer at room temperature using dextrose will provide a fuller and finer carbonated beer. I haven't tried this yet but I will this weekend when I keg another batch of my Pale Ale. I know people who swear by cask conditioning. I will give it a shot and let you know but it will take a few weeks.

Thanks.

Should the beer still sit in the keg for three weeks, as it would in bottles, if no dextrose is added? Or would it be ready for Co2 sooner?

Up to your tastebuds. Even if you want to wait, there's no reason it can't be carbed before you wait. Personally, I like IPA young, so I'd get it carbed and start drinking it!

Back