Top Ten Favorite Standup Comedians

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
This is not a debate. Just list your top ten.

1. Louis CK
2. Brian Regan
3. David Cross
4. Jim Gaffigan
5. Jerry Seinfeld
6. Demetri Martin

7. Dave Chappell
8. George Carlin
9. Eddie Murphy
10.Greg Behrendt

Last edited by a moderator:
1. George Carlin
2. Bill Hicks
3. Richard Pryor
4. Bob Newhart
5. Jonathan Winters
6. Steven Wright
7. Garry Shandling
8. Eddie Murphy
9. Lewis Black
10. Mitch Hedberg

1. David Letterman
2. Rodney Carrington
3. Rodney Dangerfield
4. Robin Williams
5. Drew Carey
6. Martin Lawrence
7. Jerry Seinfeld
8. Eddie Murphy
9. Chris Rock
10. Bill Cosby

HM: Bill Burr

10. Lewis Black
9. Doug Standhope
8. Jim Breuer
7. Brian Regan
6. Mitch Hedberg
5. Jim Norton
4. Dennis Leary
3. Bill Hicks
2. George Carlin
1. Richard Pryor

I'm sure I've got more, but I can only think of a few at the moment:

+1 Demetri Martin, he cracks me up
Daniel Tosh
Dave Chapelle (before he went nutters)
Ellen Degeneres
Lewis Black

Not in any particular order;

Chris Rock, George Carlin, Katt Williams, The Amazing Jonathon, Penn & Teller, Richard Pryor, Triumph, Don Rickles

There are more, but I can't think of any right now.

1. (by far) George Carlin

The rest in no particular order

Richard Pryor
Doug Stanhope
Lewis Black
Jeff Dunham
Eddie Murphy
Mitch Hedberg
Christopher Titus
Robin Williams
Stephen Wright

No Eddie Izzard? I put him up there with Carlin.

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ope-1Zb5t-k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ope-1Zb5t-k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

While I'd never put Carlin on the top half of my list, I wouldn't put Izzard on any list that includes Carlin.

I liked Carlin fine for what he represented to the world of standup for all those years and all the shows were entertaining but I can't say that I've ever lost my mind laughing over any one particular thing he did. I contrast that to Brian Regan where I've practially lost consciousness due ot lack of oxygen at a few of his shows.

Excellent call on Schimmel. I will replace Eddie Murphy's spot with him.

In no particular order:

George Carlin
Eddie Murphy
Ron White
Gallagher
Jim Gaffigan
Dave Chappelle
Lewis Black
Denis Leary
Patton Oswalt
Richard Pryor

In no particular order: Hicks, Pryor, David Cross, Hedberg, Wright, Zach Galifianakis, Sarah Silverman, Chappelle, Izzard, Brian Posehn

Can't believe I missed Schimmel. He'd probably bump Lewis Black off my list.

Lewis Black
Lewis Black
Lewis Black
Lewis Black
Lewis Black
Lewis Black
Lewis Black
Lewis Black
Lewis Black

Only comedian that has made me laugh so hard I cry. Could be my pent up anger identifies with the venting of his. He says the things I want to.

In no specific order, except Jim Norton is number 1.
Jim Norton
George Carlin
Jim Jeffries
Pablo Francisco
Katt Williams
Joe Rogan
Rodney Carrington
Kevin Pollack
Patton Oswalt
Zach Galifianakis

Not one call for Steve Martin??!!
wtf.gif

I know my age is showing but Bill Cosby was a huge influence on so many who followed.
I've only been "laughed out" & couldn't laugh more once. To Robin Williams live.
Bob Newhart was a master of control.
Anyone remember Dennis Wolfberg?
Eddie Murphy in the day.
Bobby Slayton.
I love Lisa Lapinelli!

I've seen so many through the years. Only trying to put "The Ones". These were guys who shaped so many others.

At one time I aspired to be a stand up comic. I have a buddy out here who does it on open mic nights....and he's funny. Think of him as a much funnier, Latino version of Ralphie May. He's always trying to drag me out with him. I just know he'll try to get me drunk and on stage.

Wow only one call each for Jeff Dunham or Lisa Lapinelli? I must be more twisted than I thought. Carlin, Dangerfeild, Cosby, Pryor, White, Carey, Murphy(in his day) and Rock. These are just the first to pop into my head as "Pay to see" although I would go see two shows for Dunham.

Wow only one call each for Jeff Dunham or Lisa Lapinelli? I must be more twisted than I thought. Carlin, Dangerfeild, Cosby, Pryor, White, Carey, Murphy(in his day) and Rock. These are just the first to pop into my head as "Pay to see" although I would go see two shows for Dunham.

Dunham
plusone.gif

It still cracks me up to think I photographed him for a comedy club here in L.A. 15 years ago with Peanut & he's still playing with dolls!
I love watching the Achmed video! My daughter's turned half her friends onto him!

Not one mention of Lenny Bruce???

Lenny Bruce laid the ground work for most every other comic mentioned in this thread!

In some order, but not too particular:

Mitch Hedberg
Robin Williams
George Carlin
Bill Cosby (the early days, anyway)
Ron White
Carrot Top (yeah, I know...but I just caught his show in Vegas, and it was actually VERY good live...skip the 20 minute cable specials and just go to the show)

Brian Regan
Daniel Tosh
Mitch Hedberg
Katt Williams
Chris Titus
Dave Attel
Kevin James
Rodney Carrington
Jim Gaffigan
Dave Chappell
Jeff Dunham

Don't jump on a lack of certain people on anyone's lists. I will admit mine is lacking a lot, but keeping it to 10 people, I had to also qualify it by influence and celebrity.

People I really like right now:
Louis CK, Brian Regan, Daniel Tosh, Jeff Dunham, John Caparulo, Kevin James, Jim Gaffigan, Dave Attel, Jim Norton, Demetri Martin, Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, and many more

Carrot Top (yeah, I know...but I just caught his show in Vegas, and it was actually VERY good live...skip the 20 minute cable specials and just go to the show)

That's the truth! A few years ago my friend (who used to do Carrot Top's sound) dragged me to a show in Vegas, and I went under protest. They gave us front row seats, free drinks and backstage passes, but still...it was Carrot Top!

Anyhow, I laughed my ass off that night. He was funny as hell. I met him afterwards, and he was a great guy, very friendly and down to earth.

Bob Hope
Jack Benny
Groucho Marx
Henny Youngman
Rodney Dangerfield
Johnny Carson
George Burns & Gracie Allans
Buddy Hackett
Milton Berle
Abbott & Costello

In no particular order and more than 10:

George Carlin