Alright, get up, stop playing on the machine and GTFO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schneemann

Reaction score
OK, there's two rants today.

Every day during lunch I venture down to the gym to squeeze in a workout and there's a never ending parade of fools wasting their time playing around and getting in the way.

Here's a hint: your biceps are capable of 137 degrees of motion. Piling on weights on a curl bar and swinging your body like Tarzan to move the weight for only the upper 20 degrees of motion isn't impressing anyone. In fact, you look like a stupid poser and you're probably going to hurt yourself so put the weights down and GTFO.

OK, there's two rants today.

You do realize that the fine print for HBT says your only allowed 3 rants per year. You are using them up way too quick. :D

I don't go to the gym much, so I have nothing to say about "posers", but I see where you are coming from. I just don't want to see you blow your load of rants so quickly.

You do realize that the fine print for HBT says your only allowed 3 rants per year. You are using them up way too quick. :D

I don't go to the gym much, so I have nothing to say about "posers", but I see where you are coming from. I just don't want to see you blow your load of rants so quickly.

Damn! I'm gonna have to pick a really epic topic for #3 then!

Man, I'm 100% with ya on this one. Damnit those guys piss me off. I spend as much of my time worrying about form as I do anything else, and then I see these *****epimples wasting oxygen over there because they think that if they just pile on the weight, everyone will think they're badasses. I'm sorry, but if you know sh*t about lifting, which you have to assume many of the people in the gym do, then you know that these chumps are just...chumps...and that piling on the plates and swinging your body around like a monkey doesn't mean you're a big beast. It just means you're uneducated and like wasting your time.

There was one dude that actually provided some great entertainment every time he was in there. He'd do sh*t like chest presses, but he'd do them like he was doing that ol' "raise the roof" thing, like, really fast, and his range of motion was all of 4 inches. Oh, yeah, dude, way to build muscle. It took all my power not to grab him by his puny biceps and scream "stop wasting money and time, and just f*ckin do them the right way, fag!"

but, alas, I was too busy laughing. One time I had to leave the room because I was laughing so hard, he really looked like he was "raising the roof".

I know what you mean...except the gym i go to is so f*ckin crowded that i can hardly use the machines. They need to stop accepting members is what i think...and half of the members are like the guy u are talking about that doesn't know wtf they are doing

I hate the guys who use the entire time at the gym to hit on chicks.

I double hate the guys who do 9023254 sets on the same set of weights.

I triple hate the guys who spend 45 min wrapping their knees just to do 4 squats with 6" of movement and 500lbs of weight.

I recently watch a couple of young'ns trying to bench press more weight than was recommended. The problem I saw was them bouncing the bar off of their chest!!!

Great way to crack a sternum!

I always laughed at the idiots that set the step machines at max. and then hold onto the rails and flap their feet up & down.

Sqaut racks are not for curling. GTFO, and let me do a compound exercise that you're too ***** to try because you don't think working your legs is important. *****ie.

My biggest peev at the gym is people taking their sweet ass time doing whatever they want while at station/bench/treadmill etc. I know you want a quick breather between sets but when you spend 5 minutes between each set scrolling through your mp3 player, checking something on your phone or just plain sitting there then **** or get off the pot! Or people that sit around on the cardio equipment while talking to a friend whose actually doing something and then gives you a dirty look when you ask them if they're going to be long because you'd like to use it. When I go in to the gym I know my routine and I get in and get out without trying to waste my time or anyone else's.

How about the idiots who think its ok to use like 3 machines at once at like 5:00pm and then act irritated when you ask to work in? Sorry, but it's one machine at a time, especially at busy times.

Sqaut racks are not for curling. GTFO, and let me do a compound exercise that you're too ***** to try because you don't think working your legs is important. *****ie.

Bogus. I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same "squat racks" here (two sets of vertical posts on either side of you with an adjustable bar between them?), but if so, that's not just for squatting. I use it for:

• bench pressing when I want to concentrate on a certain part of my ROM
  • seated barbell press/military press
  • bicep curls when I want to concentrate on a certain part of my ROM
  • squats
  • shrugs
  • barbell rows
  • deadlifts
  • stiff-leg deadlifts

using a rack to its full potential isn't being a *****. And yes, it's good to concentrate on parts of your ROM individually sometimes.

but, then, maybe you're thinking of a different rack than I am.

Bogus. I'm not sure if we're thinking of the same "squat racks" here (two sets of vertical posts on either side of you with an adjustable bar between them?), but if so, that's not just for squatting. I use it for:

• bench pressing when I want to concentrate on a certain part of my ROM
  • seated barbell press/military press
  • bicep curls when I want to concentrate on a certain part of my ROM
  • squats
  • shrugs
  • barbell rows
  • deadlifts
  • stiff-leg deadlifts

using a rack to its full potential isn't being a *****. And yes, it's good to concentrate on parts of your ROM individually sometimes.

but, then, maybe you're thinking of a different rack than I am.

Gym Law #1, man!

I know it's not just for squatting, but there's plenty of other places in my gym that accomodates 10K people to do them when it's busy. I can curl outside the squat rack, but I can't really squat outside of them.

Just don't run into someone wearing this:

As long as you're not using the gd Smith machine, now...

It doesn't really bother me so much as I find if funny, but the huge muscle guys walking around my gym all have the tinyest little legs, completely disproportional. It alwasy cracks me up cause they look like a friggin' cartoon.

I know it's not just for squatting, but there's plenty of other places in my gym that accomodates 10K people to do them when it's busy.
That all kind of depends. Using that long "squat" bar is far superior to the bars with the weights welded/bolted on that are for curls, not only in the way they work your biceps, but you can fine tune the weight much better. Usually the welded/bolted on ones only go up every 10lbs, which is a hell of a lot at a time for biceps.

I can curl outside the squat rack, but I can't really squat outside of them.
I see you've never heard of dumbbell or pistol squats....

There are idiots everywhere you go. The gym, the movies, the mall, the beach, the post office, any & every roadway, etc. I agree with your rant, but if I let all the idiots get to me I'd probably snap. I mean I'm sure some of them are nice people, but they're ignant. My latest one is with the surfer posers. There are the ones who float around in the water on their boards, never catching any waves but making enough of an attempt to make you eat **** on the same wave. Then there are the other ones who take their boards everywhere, but always complain the waves suck so they're not getting in the water. Posers are everywhere! :mad:

That all kind of depends. Using that long "squat" bar is far superior to the bars with the weights welded/bolted on that are for curls, not only in the way they work your biceps, but you can fine tune the weight much better. Usually the welded/bolted on ones only go up every 10lbs, which is a hell of a lot at a time for biceps.

We have adjustable weights for this as well as 3 preacher curl benches to go with them in a separate area of the gym.

I see you've never heard of dumbbell or pistol squats....

I do suitcase squats and other things - but I don't want to have to do them every time.

there's only one way to do squats, unless you're a fruit: with a barbell across your back.

Call me a passion fruit then :D

I don't know man, dumbell squats will make you puke in a hurry. Kind of a modified deadlift, but you can't bring your back into the fight. But that's neither here nor there.

I used to be pretty big into bodybuilding with some powerlifting thrown in. Loved it. Then I got into doing other stuff that was easier to sneak out at home with a wife and kid: RossTraining - Bridging The Gap Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Here's an example:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6JvhCTjicY]YouTube - Budget Training - RossTraining.com[/ame]

Ross Enamait is the shizznit. His training is no BS, and will force any toughguy to put his money where his mouth is. Trust me, look into this. His book Infinite Intensity incorporates weights, so you can still toss some iron around if you want. You will get in real functional shape in a hurry, you'll be blown away by what you can accomplish in 30 mins on a lunchbreak...and you won't have to deal with the *****ebags ;)

But that's neither here nor there :D

Gym Law #1, man!

I know it's not just for squatting, but there's plenty of other places in my gym that accomodates 10K people to do them when it's busy. I can curl outside the squat rack, but I can't really squat outside of them.

Just don't run into someone wearing this:

As long as you're not using the gd Smith machine, now...

Ours looks a little more like this, except it's not connected at the top:

40A-lg.jpg

They're great for any number of exercises. Now, I agree that if someone's just using the squat rack for bicep curls because they don't feel like having to bend over to get the barbell in between sets, then, yeah, that's stupid. But like I said, there's really nowhere else I can correctly do restricted-ROM bench presses, etc. I hardly ever do restricted-ROM bicep curls, but when I do, I do 'em there.

And I use the smith machine for many things too---shoulder press, rows, bench press, squat. I'm not gonna refrain from using a machine that works best for the exercise I want to do just because someone else thinks that I should only be doing squats there. I'm not a ****** about it, I just see no reason to curtail my workout regime because of someone else's preferences. Hell, look at Muscle & Fitness, man, they've always got great new moves that pay off, and they're not the "traditional" methods on the traditional machines. That's where I learned the progressive restricted-ROM bench presses...and they rock!

While ROM stuff is good-

Nothing beats hard heavy lifting and the big three. Squats, Deadlifts and benchpress(incline for me)

Eh preachers are overrated, and not the same as straight bar with that really long "squat" bar. Preacher curls are no substitute for straight bar with good form.

I hate the guys that grunt and groan for attention. Whenever I hear some big comic book style 'arrrgh' from across the gym, I turn around, and without fail it's some wussy ********* and not the Arnold clone he thinks he is.

About six mos ago I quit the heavy stuff and started doing 60% of the weight with twice as many reps, circuit fashion. I lost 10 lbs of fat real quick.

About six mos ago I quit the heavy stuff and started doing 60% of the weight with twice as many reps, circuit fashion. I lost 10 lbs of fat real quick.

Of course, more reps mean more calories burned. Good regimes have this incorporated, mine is hard and heavy 3x a month with 1x a month 75% and rep crazy. Its a great way to keep fat at bay as well as give yourself time lines.

Back