Critique this recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
This is my second partial mash, and I'm still learning so be gentle. It's a sweet stout with peanut butter. Here's what I got. I feel like I've left something out of the grain bill....

4.0lb Dark DME
1.0lb Stout Malt
1.0lb British Crystal
.50lb British Chocolate
.25lb Dark Caramel
.25lb Flaked Barley
1.75oz Yakima Goldings
Irish moss
Gypsum
~8oz deoiled natural Peanut Butter

45min mash with just shy of 4quarts water
Sparge with almost 3 gallons
60 min Boil
Hops at 60
PB at 15

Preboiled wort OG was only 1.020 (Beer Smith said it should have been closer to 1.075) but my OG of the final boil was right on at 1.046

Kilted Brewer said:
This is my second partial mash, and I'm still learning so be gentle. It's a sweet stout with peanut butter. Here's what I got. I feel like I've left something out of the grain bill....

4.0lb Dark DME
1.0lb Stout Malt
1.0lb British Crystal
.50lb British Chocolate
.25lb Dark Caramel
.25lb Flaked Barley
1.75oz Yakima Goldings
Irish moss
Gypsum
~8oz deoiled natural Peanut Butter

45min mash with just shy of 4quarts water
Sparge with almost 3 gallons
60 min Boil
Hops at 60
PB at 15

Preboiled wort OG was only 1.020 (Beer Smith said it should have been closer to 1.075) but my OG of the final boil was right on at 1.046

:mug: Remember it will still be beer and you will still be drinking your own brew. Update this in a couple of months to tell us how it turned out. Interesting recipe.

VermVerm said:
:mug: Remember it will still be beer and you will still be drinking your own brew. Update this in a couple of months to tell us how it turned out. Interesting recipe.

Oh yeah, totally. Just trying to learn at the same time. I tasted the wort I pulled for the gravity reading and it was quite smooth actually. HUGE peanut butter nose and a slight PB aftertaste.

Took a reading today. It was at 1.020. I can tell the oil is already starting to have it's way on this batch. You can see oil rings on top. I'll probably rack to secondary this weekend, then maybe rack again to get as much oil out as possible. Still tastes great though. The nose is just amazing. It's gonna be hard waiting a few months to try this one.

Brilliant!

If you give it another try, maybe make the PB part in advance by making a PB tea and decanting the oils off, then all you would be left with is the PB liquid and none of the peanut oils.

Good choices on the malts, I just hope the Chocolate and Cara malts don't interfere with the PB. Right now it sounds like they aren't.

Back