wlp566 - Whitelabs Saison II Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
WLP566 Saison II
"Saison strain with more fruity ester production than with WLP565. Moderately phenolic, with a clove-like characteristic in finished beer flavor and aroma. Ferments faster than WLP565.
Attenuation: 78-85% Flocculation: Medium Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-78° F Alcohol Tolerance: Medium"

I just bottled my saison using this yeast, it turned pretty well. The yeast attenuates better than 565, I got 84% AA - going from 1.062 down to 1.009/1.010. It is very fruity, maybe too fruity but we'll see. I have only tasted it warm/flat from the fermenter. Fermentation was started at about 68F, held for the first two days and then raised to the low/mid 80'sF. Because it was a new yeast and recipe I only made 3gals, and did not make a starter b/c of the smaller volume and to get the correct flavor profile( I didn't want to overpitch by making a starter). Clove/spice character is undetermined, I added 2 grams of Grains of Paradise ground throughout the 60min boil so that obviously had an affect.

If your looking for a better attenuating saison yeast then 565, this is it. Maybe holding the temperature lower or longer might subdue the fuitiness. It may be fine once cool and carbed. Also it personal taste and a minor point, it might just be a little fruitier than I'd like. Still very good though.

Back