Taking the electric plunge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishBrewer74

Reaction score
I've been acquiring all the electrical tid bits needed to get my E-build going and now its time to get a move one. It will be a single tier 3 vessel build with a hot liquor, mash tun, and boil kettle. The initial build will only have one pump and I will continue to batch sparge for now... having said that, I believe in planning ahead so the control panel will be built for two pumps for future fly sparging.

The system will be powered by 220 from an unused dryer outlet. I am using a 4 prong 220v/30A cord with built in in-line GFCI

The control panel is largely based on Kal's design. I am also adding light and exhaust fan control. The temps wil be controlled by two Auber PIDs with RTDs. It may be over kill but i went with 2 5500 watt LWD elements. I am only doing 5 gallon batches at the moment, but again... future proofing.

Power cord
DSCN2636.jpg

element
DSCN2634.jpg

Panel with top cut for SSR and heat sinks
DSCN2623.jpg
DSCN2624.jpg
DSCN2625.jpg

Step bits for the lights and switches and just a jig saw with metal cutting blade for the PID and amp meter

And today's work is done. All holes cut in front door. All instruments fit tested. Hopefully next weekend I can get the outlets cut out on bottom.

image-2951380589.jpg

image-2164688006.jpg

Attachments

• image-1202240709.jpg
    image-1202240709.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 897
Ironically I finally had some time to work on it today (new baby takes priority :) ) just measured out and began drilling the holes in the bottom. I may start checking eBay for some greenlee punches as the metal is bending a bit making the holes difficult and sloppy. Also, anyone have any ideas on making the 2in holes for the 220 outlets.

image-2684181893.jpg

Go! Go! Go!

Congrats on making the decision to go electric! I'm brewing batch #2 tomorrow on my new system.

You will never regret it and will make awesome beers!

Your panel is coming together really nicely! :)

IrishBrewer74 said:
Also, anyone have any ideas on making the 2in holes for the 220 outlets.

I ordered some online...waited forever...finally realized they had not even shipped so I canceled the order and went to HD. Just be careful not to drill the smaller holes for the pumps with the bit meant for the elements.

NewBrewB said:
Just be careful not to drill the smaller holes for the pumps with the bit meant for the elements.

I second that. Made that mistake when drilling for my xlr connector.

I used a 1 3/4 hole saw from Lowes, then the dremel to get the exact fit co I didn't need a cover. The 2 inch saw will give you a gap.

It seems like forever since I have last worked on this project. Super long workdays and a four-month-old child (and a 3 year old too) take priority. Here's some recent pics of some progress I've made. All holes and Outlets have been cut and test mounted on the bottom of Control Panel. Also here is the proposed layout of internal components.

image-2780927276.jpg

image-3353972169.jpg

I'll have to actually create one first. For the m oat part it is a Kal clone with PJs e-stop. I will probably write up some wiring diagrams for each part of the system separately for my own future reference. I'll post them when I do.

Unless someone can direct me to an online tool, they will all be drawn by hand and not near as pretty as some of the other diagrams found here in the forums.

All internal components mounted to back plate. Now I just need to drill some quick holes to mount the heat sinks on the top. Sand prime paint... And hopefully start wiring this weekend.

image-3720106495.jpg

Pretty much all internal wiring is done. I still need to wire in a separate 110v line for the light and fan, but that's quick and easy.

image-1753684946.jpg

image-978902814.jpg

image-2046744900.jpg

image-203891985.jpg

And I'm done! Well, with the control panel anyway. I am using parts of a satellite dish mounting system to mount the panel and provide a stand. The mount will allow my to add some tilt up and down in addition to turning side to side.

image-3365327436.jpg
Inside

image-4073472035.jpg
Outside

image-473038941.jpg
Upside down

image-3570905555.jpg
Mount

image-2201440036.jpg
Stand

Back