International Dark Lager Black Barley Coffee Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbt

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S23
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
26 IBU
Color
18.3 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 45F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 45F
Tasting Notes
One on best I have made so far!! Malty Munich front and a deep coffee flavor finish..
Grain 75% Eff.
2 Row Base 37ppg, 1.5°L (8 pounds 76.2%)

Munich (Dark) 34ppg, 20°L (1 pound 9.5%)

Crystal 60L 34ppg, 60°L (0.5 pounds 4.8%)

CaraPils 33ppg, 1.5°L (0.5 pounds 4.8%)

Roasted Unmalted Barley 29ppg, 300°L (0.5 pounds 4.8%)

Hops
Simcoe hops 12.7%, Pellet 0.5 ounces 60 minutes

Cascade hops 6%, Pellet 0.5 ounces 15 minutes (+45)

Cascade hops 6%, Pellet 0.5 ounces 5 minutes (+55)

Mash

149F 60min

I'm excited to try this one for my second batch ever. I wanted to try a lager since I heat my house with wood and can't keep a constant temp in my house, but my garage stays at around 45F great for lager yeast I hear.

wd8adh said:
I'm excited to try this one for my second batch ever. I wanted to try a lager since I heat my house with wood and can't keep a constant temp in my house, but my garage stays at around 45F great for lager yeast I hear.

Did you ever try this? How did it come out?

:rockin:Brewed this one again last Sunday, 11gal batch. Used wl840 this time instead of s23. Its bubbling away nicely in the ferm chamber at 49 degrees.

Looking forward to my first lager batch! How long do you let this one ferment for? And what temps?

gbeer said:
Looking forward to my first lager batch! How long do you let this one ferment for? And what temps?

Ferment 52F 2wks
Drest 65F 3days
Back down to 50F for 2days
Transfer to secondary 50F 2wks
Keg lager for 2wks

I already skipped secondary did the Drest and went back to 50 and held for a week and straight to keg with gelatin.

I tested this one once in the keg daily after the first week the transformation is amazing.

The last one I made with wlp840 it came out to dry. I will use wlp830 or wlp838 next time.
The original recipe was made with 2 packs of s23 which came out excellent.

I will post a pic next time I tap one its a awesome looking lager!

image-3119378493.jpg

brewed this a few months ago! great flavour, it was perfect for us as beginners. def gonna brew it again!

Brewing this up in a couple days. Don't have time for a starter so I'm going to try w-74/30.

I brewed this up and have been following this schedule using my brew pi.

Ferment 52F 2wks
Drest 65F 3days
Back down to 50F for 2days
Transfer to secondary 50F 2wks
Keg lager for 2wks

Brewed this up a few weeks ago using 2 packets of w-74/30 pitched at 52F.

I just transferred to the secondary and decided to check the gravity. It measured 1.016.
Will it continue to attenuate is the secondary? I really don't see it getting all the way down to 1.009 but am hopeful.

I am very new to lagers so I'm not sure if this is normal. The wort tastes pretty good but it's still a tad sweeter than I would like. I'm really hoping it ferments more.

Thoughts?

Looking to brew this up BIAB in the next 2 weeks any more info on this?
Hoping for something that tastes close to INDIO Mexican. Or at least close that I can tweak to get it right.

Here is BeerSmith's conversion to 3 gal BIAB, you can tweak the numbers to be more even.. Still one of my favorite brews!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Coffee Lager
Brewer: CraigH78
Asst Brewer:
Style: Dark American Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.31 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.56 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.91 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.076 SG
Estimated Color: 20.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 76.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
5 lbs 11.4 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 74.4 %
11.4 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 9.3 %
6.3 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 %
5.7 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.7 %
4.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.7 %
0.27 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 17.8 IBUs
0.56 oz Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.27 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 3.7 IBUs
0.56 oz Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 mins) Other 9 -
0.27 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 1.5 IBUs
17.9 pkg Saflager S-23 (Fermentis #S-23) Yeast 11 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 7 lbs 7.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 9.30 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 5.21 qt of water at 200.7 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 1.57 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you brewed this 3G BIAB?
I think I'll take a shot at it this weekend!

I currently use a different method for converting recipes to BIAB. Is the BeerSmith pretty accurate fro BIAB?

I don't do BIAB so no I've never tried it that way. BeerSmith is pretty darn accurate with most things so I'd trust it. Either way you could look at the 5gal grain percentages and then just match them for a 3 gal batch, then tweak for your efficiency.

I'd try it, it'll get you close enough.. If you've never had it before, you won't know the difference lol :D

Well I couldn't find Roasted Barley 300L. The shop was out of roasted Barley 500+L.
I do have a little Chocolate malt and some Carafa I(320L) that I can mix. What do you all think of that for a sub?

Try it and let us know. You could use a little Carafa and then some coffee grounds or extract in secondary. I'd lean toward extract so you don't get any additional bitterness from the grounds.

Brewed this up today as my first Lager. My Brew day went well, hit all my numbers. I did 2.5 Gal. and set the grain bill to get me to 1.055. I did a straight sub of Roasted Barley with Carafa I. Wort tasted good, pretty mild. Fermenting @ 51 degrees. I'll let you know how it progresses. Pitched S23

Just finished up with diacetyl rest @ ~66F, gravity down to 1.011. Going to rack tomorrow and drop it to 34F for 6 weeks or so. Tastes pretty good so far, good coffee/chocolate aroma, very mild on taste. This seems like it will be a very smooth beer.

Bought the ingredients for this yesterday. I'll either be brewing this tonight or tomorrow morning. Depends how my schedule plays out.

Brewed this on Friday. 5 gallons at 1.052. Fermenting with S-23 at 51-52F. Will try and post a picture once it's done.

Might try something similar but sub some coffee malt. I love coffee malt. I use it in abundance in my java Porter. It's unique in that it doesn't carry harshness or sweetness like a dark crystal would. It's 150-180L.

May I ask the reason for simcoe for bittering?

Interesting, are you replacing all the Roasted Barley?, one for one?
Please let us know how it comes out with the coffee Malt, I am yet to use it.

Im having rotator cuff repair surgery tomorrow so I'm not sure when I'll get to brewing again but I would probably shoot from them hip with a half # roasted malt and 1# or more coffee malt in 11g. I use 4#(11g) coffee malt in my Porter and its the only roasted malt in it. It's not comparable to dark malts due to the lighter kiln. I have this subbed and will return when I get to brewing again. I may cheat and use a kolsh strain at cool basement temps though because once I get able to brew again, I'm going gangbusters to refill the pipeline.

Just an update: I bottled 2 weeks ago and cracked the first one last night. It's a good beer, reall full flavor but finishes pretty light.
Next go around I may try the Coffee malt instead of CarafaI. But overall a really easy drinking beer.

Latest posts

Back