Little or no carbonation in bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max-the-knife

Reaction score
My latest brew, a lite ale, has been in the bottle conditioning and carbonating for 3 weeks. I chilled one today and opened it and was suprised to find very little carbonation! :( My first 3 brews called for 5 oz. of corn sugar but this batch called for 4 oz. Also, when I added the priming sugar to the bottling bucket, I put the sugar solution in first and racked my secondary over the liquid without stirring. My bottles have been in a dark closet at approx. 65 F. Should I let it condition longer? Do you think I might have a problem?

Hey Jackmaxcy
I think the problem is that you have it in a pretty cool place. That means it's gunna take a little longer to ferment in the bottles. Try moving it to an area if possible that's just 72F or slightly above. I find at around 72-74F it takes about 3 weeks to fully finish.

Also carbonation is usually a personal thing, and what really matters is what you prefer. I prefer about 6oz myself. Unfortunately you really can't fix it now but for your next batch try 5-6oz and see how you like it... and again leave in a warmer spot. I leave my beer in the computer room which is nice and warm if I leave the door shut.

So I guess try waiting another week to see if it gets better!

Hope this helps,
Marc

I had a hunch it might have been a little on the cool side for conditioning and carbonation. Thanks for the feedback.

Back