Critique my recipe please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrad1

Reaction score
I had some downtime at work, and whipped up this recipe for an American pale ale real quick. I'm still pretty new to making my own recipes, so let me know how this looks.

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30
Boil Time: 60 min

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 85.71 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 9.52 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 16.1 IBU
1.50 oz Citra [13.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops -
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (45 min) Hops 14.8 IBU
0.50 oz Citra [13.50 %] (5 min) Hops 3.9 IBU
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.30 %
Bitterness: 34.8 IBU
Est Color: 10.0 SRM

Since you have a pound of crystal in there, I think you could omit the carapils. Marris Otter for an APA is out of the ordinary, but I think that is a good thing. I haven't used Citra hops yet they have a pretty high AA%, wow! I have heard lots of good things about them though.

Otherwise, I think your recipe looks purdy tasty, my mouth is watering as I type.

Looks good to me, too. Again, I have not seen Citra hops yet, but I have been reading about them. For me, I would put in the whole ounce of Centenial at 60 & skip the 45, but thats just me. I love Maris Otter. Looks good !

Maris Otter makes a fine APA. I think you're on to a pretty tasty beer, here.

I second the notion of deleting the CaraPils. It's a crutch. For extract brewers, it can really aid in putting body in a recipe with lots of excess fermentables in the extract and foam on a beer with an extract low in proteins. You're mashing; you can control both of those characteristics. If you simply must add something to promote foam, 2-4 oz. of wheat malt will do a better job with less impact on body and mouthfeel.

Cheers!

Bob

Thanks for the advise, I went ahead and got rid of the carapils. I'm planning on brewing this on Teach a friend to homebrew day, along with an extract kit for a coffee house stout. This is also going to be my first all grain attempt.

Back