Need Recipe help for a SMaSH IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
Want to make a SMaSH recipe using lots of Centennial hops. I am looking for something light in color and something that will go well in an IPA. I have just dove into the A/G part and love it. I have a ton of the Centennial and am looking for an easy recipe now for a good IPA!

Well, it's a SMaSH, so you pick a malt, pick a hops, and dial it in. :)

It sounds like you want an American sort of IPA, so you probably want to go with domestic 2-row pale malt. Set your OG between 1.056 and 1.75 (probably on the higher end, I gather), and figure out your IBUs with your Centennial. I recommend a FWH addition, followed by 20, 7, 3, and 0 minute additions, along with a healthy ounce or two for dry hopping. If you have brewing software, you can play around with the numbers to make it work out right.

Mash somewhere around 150.

Most folks love the California I yeast, and I have to agree with that. However, I prefer the California V.

TL

Single
Malt
and
Single
Hops

You already picked the hops, so that leaves..................the malt!

MO
2 row (probably the best fit for an AIPA?)
Pale

2 row sounds like the general concensus on this. I just need to punch this into beersmith, dial in the gravity and order the grain, and yeast. I have been using the SA-05 lately and really like the results. Any one have any other recommendations on the yeast besides the California I, or V? I think I will shoot for something around 6-7 % ABV.

2 row sounds like the general concensus on this. I just need to punch this into beersmith, dial in the gravity and order the grain, and yeast. I have been using the SA-05 lately and really like the results. Any one have any other recommendations on the yeast besides the California I, or V? I think I will shoot for something around 6-7 % ABV.

05 or notty is a good neutral dry yeast that will let the hop and malt flavor shine through. Which is exactly what smashes are supposed to do.

Btw all centennial will be like a glass of grapefruit juice.:D

Back