Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DizzyPants

Reaction score
I brewed a hefe (which I now know doesn’t need to be placed in a secondary and it is good.

I have a hef in the primary bucket and it is just about ready to be bottled. Should I bottle straight from the bucket although the trub is just below the spigot, or should I transfer it to a carboy, get rid of the trub and then put it back in the bucket to bottle?

Thanks for your help.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get it off the trub before bottling. Otherwise, you might end up with a TON of yeast in the bottle. Just be extra careful with cleaning/sanitizing since one extra step will be involved.

How would you mix your priming sugar if bottling directly from the primary? I would rack it to a bottling bucket on top of your priming sugar.

+1 for mixing the priming sugar- you would have to disturb all the trub to get it properly mixed. it sounds like you did your primary in the bottling bucket...so if you dont have a second bottling bucket, then transfer to a carboy, clean the bucket, and your boiled priming sugar to the bucket and rack on top just like edcculus said.

Back