Montrachet yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
going to start my first batch of cider using Montrachet over Champ. Anyone want to give an opinion on the difference in taste?

:drunk:

I think the Montrachet would be a modest improvement. Champagne yeast is very dry and very neutral. For a cider, I think the Montrachet would give you something more nuanced. I find the dryness with Champagne yeast to be a little austere with cider or fruit wines. The differences are subtle, though.

I just racked my first cider off the yeast, and tasted some in the process. This was with the Montrachet, and I did find the flavor very pleasent. Now this is very young, but I would have been happy to drink more!

I haven't had any problems using champ yeast. And I have consumed whole batches under three months old. Edworts recipe uses motrachet and everyone loves Edwort so I figured I would see how big the difference is.:ban:

going to start my first batch of cider using Montrachet over Champ. Anyone want to give an opinion on the difference in taste?

:drunk:

My opinion is don't use montrachet. Wine yeast in general for ciders don't taste good or have any body for my tastes.

Try some safale-05 or some nottingham.

for ciders, I prefer english ale yeasts, s-04 does wonderfully, and I just opened up a batch I did with the WLP023 burton ale yeast that turned out fantastic.

My opinion is don't use montrachet. Wine yeast in general for ciders don't taste good or have any body for my tastes.

Try some safale-05 or some nottingham.

I think that only makes sense if your making a particular cider. I like my cider big, very dry, and usually dont start opening bottles until they are a few years old. In that case, Montrachet is my go-to.

If my ABV were 4-6%, and I was looking for something with residual sugar that I could start drinking in a few months, than nottingham would be a fine choice.

I think that only makes sense if your making a particular cider. I like my cider big, very dry, and usually dont start opening bottles until they are a few years old. In that case, Montrachet is my go-to.

If my ABV were 4-6%, and I was looking for something with residual sugar that I could start drinking in a few months, than nottingham would be a fine choice.

A few years? I was thinking of using WL english cider yeast with no added sugar next. Then maybe keggin it.

A few years? I was thinking of using WL english cider yeast with no added sugar next. Then maybe keggin it.

Man, I have a hard time keeping my cider for a couple of months. I used WLP775 on my most recent cider, but not in isolation. It worked well, taking my cider down to 0.994. However with this particular recipe, I was adding another load of fermentables into the secondary, potentially pushing WLP775 past it's alcohol tolerance. So I chose to add EC-1118, which made it take off again (went back down to 0.996...13.89%ABV). I'm interested in how WLP775 will take with juice alone.

Man, I have a hard time keeping my cider for a couple of months. I used WLP775 on my most recent cider, but not in isolation. It worked well, taking my cider down to 0.994. However with this particular recipe, I was adding another load of fermentables into the secondary, potentially pushing WLP775 past it's alcohol tolerance. So I chose to add EC-1118, which made it take off again (went back down to 0.996...13.89%ABV). I'm interested in how WLP775 will take with juice alone.

Yeah the longest I've kept a bottle around is just about six months.

Latest posts

Back