Want to try a Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
I would love to try a barleywine. Anyone know where I could get one or would someone be willing to ship me a bottle?

there should be some flying mouflan by troegs floating around there still

do you have a local beer shop or somewhere that has a descent selection? They are typically a winter season produced beer if the company doesn't produce them year around.

Stone makes a good barleywine. it should be in a "big" liquor store or chain store and its in the bombers section.

One local to PA is Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot. It's an english style barleywine though. I do love Stone's as well.

Stone makes a good barleywine. it should be in a "big" liquor store or chain store and its in the bombers section.

They make a DAMN good barleywine. It's called Old Guardian.

My favorite, but definitely requires a little bit of aging if you want the good experience.

Avery Hog Heaven is one of the best when they distribute cask conditioned kegs.

Fellow coal cracker here. I grew up in Summit Hill. It's tough to find them in the area. A good place I found up there recently is the Pantry Quick in Hazleton. I don't know how they do it but they have a nice little beer shop where you can buy single bottles. That's about the only place close to Pottsville where you can find a barleywine. I thought people in Pottsville only drank Yuengling at places like Club 19!

I'm always a fan of Brooklyn Brewery's beers.

Their Barleywine is quite good.

I know it's available around me in Connecticut. I'm sure you could locate it in PA.

Fellow coal cracker here. I grew up in Summit Hill. It's tough to find them in the area. A good place I found up there recently is the Pantry Quick in Hazleton. I don't know how they do it but they have a nice little beer shop where you can buy single bottles. That's about the only place close to Pottsville where you can find a barleywine. I thought people in Pottsville only drank Yuengling at places like Club 19!

I'm a bit different. Been in club 18 once and will never go back. LOL. I hate going into bars around here. Yuengling isn't bad but it's not my first choice. Everyone on here seems to like a good barley wine so I figure I have to try it. I will check there. Also, my GF lives a couple minutes from Weyerbacher so I maybe able to stop in there and check it out. As long as I know some producers of it, I can find a bottle. I should probaly check Wegmans now that I think of it.

If you do hit Weyerbacher and they have Insanity available, definitely try that! It is the oak aged version of Blithering Idiot and is probably one of the best barleywine's I've ever tasted.

I'm a bit different. Been in club 18 once and will never go back. LOL. I hate going into bars around here. Yuengling isn't bad but it's not my first choice. Everyone on here seems to like a good barley wine so I figure I have to try it. I will check there. Also, my GF lives a couple minutes from Weyerbacher so I maybe able to stop in there and check it out. As long as I know some producers of it, I can find a bottle. I should probaly check Wegmans now that I think of it.

Oh right, Club 18 not 19. Sorry it's been a while. I'm glad to see the laws changing slightly in PA. You used to have to buy a case if you wanted to try something. That can be very expensive when it comes to barley wine, etc.

there should be some flying mouflan by troegs floating around there still

+1 on the Mouflan, just got a case from the brewery last weekend, probably about an hour from you. Not sure if you can get it in the distributor, but it's worth checking out. As stated before, Stone's Old Guardian is also very good. You won't be disappointed with either selection.

If you can get some Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, I highly recommend that.

Had some Middle Ages - Druid Fluid. Not bad, But VERY hoppy. Almost like a IIPA. Not very malty at all. That was really the only one I could find. Couldn't really find much on it. Never heard of that brewery at all. Guess I'm going to have to wait until they are i season to taste more.

Dogfish Head Fort is supposed to be the strongest Barley Wine on the market coming in at around 18%. Their "Old School" is pretty decent too.

North Coasts old stock ale by far IMO the best BarleyWine ive had, its my favorite style and ive try as many as i can get my hands on :mug:

Back