Second AG - Galena experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upstream

Reaction score
I just got a pound of Galena hops and want to use it for an American Amber Ale style and here is the recipe that I have come up with so far.

I will be using Safale US-05 dry yeast for this one and it will be brewed using the Brew In A Bag method.

Any suggestions for improvements? Will the Galena hop additions for flavor and aroma be too much?

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Galena American Amber Ale
Brewer: upstream
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American Amber Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35,0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6,60 gal      
Boil Size: 8,28 gal
Estimated OG: 1,060 SG
Estimated Color: 28,2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 28,1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69,00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
9,92 lb       Pale Malt (Weyermann) (6,5 EBC)           Grain        65,22 %       
3,64 lb       Munich I (Weyermann) (14,0 EBC)           Grain        23,91 %       
0,99 lb       Carafoam (Weyermann) (3,9 EBC)            Grain        6,52 %        
0,66 lb       Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350,7 EBC)         Grain        4,35 %        
0,71 oz       Galena [11,00 %]  (60 min)                Hops         20,0 IBU      
0,35 oz       Galena [11,00 %]  (20 min)                Hops         6,1 IBU       
0,35 oz       Galena [11,00 %]  (5 min)                 Hops         2,0 IBU       
0,33 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10,0 min)                Misc                       

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 15,21 lb
----------------------------
Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Light Body
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
75 min        Saccharification   Add 19,01 qt of water at 161,4 F    150,0 F       
10 min        Mash Out           Heat to 168,0 F over 10 min         168,0 F

I am no expert but I would be careful with that amount of Galena. Yours are listed as 11% AA. I brewed a Pale Ale that used Galena as the bittering hop. My kit came with 1/4 oz more than the recipe called for. Not really thinking it through, I added the remaining 1/4 oz at 15 minutes to flame out. My Pale Ale now is too bitter. My Galena was 12.5% AA but I would still be careful and wait until someone with more experience than me chimes in.

Thanks for the warning. I have some Cascade, Perle or Fuggles if changes are suggested but I basically wanted to get to know the Galena hop. Hope someone does soon because I just started heating the water for the mash :D

Beersmith only puts it at 28 IBU... If it is right, it doesn't sound bad... The pale ale I made this weekend was 33 IBU.

EDIT: Just realized you are shooting for an amber, not a pale ale...

I'd keep the Galena early in the boil. It generally is a bittering hop - you'll get the bulk of your IBUs from it. I use it in all my american ales as the first addition, but look to other hops for flavor and aroma. Cascade would be a good choice toward the end of the boil.

I'd keep the Galena early in the boil. It generally is a bittering hop - you'll get the bulk of your IBUs from it. I use it in all my american ales as the first addition, but look to other hops for flavor and aroma. Cascade would be a good choice toward the end of the boil.
Yeah I'm leaning towards using Cascade for flavor and aroma.
Thanks for the help.

Back