Is my fan broken? Electrical help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
I bought a fan from radio shack thats 4". I'm trying to make a stirplate out of a 7.5vt cell charger. I was wanting to make sure my fan and charger were working correctly and to figure out which was my ground on the cell charger. So I stripped them down and hooked them together. The fan wont turn. The fan says 115VAC 60Hz 20W Imp Protected. Do I need more watts? I'm not sure. I switched the wires to see what would happen and still nothing. :(

Help!

7.5v DC will not power anything that requires 115v AC. Try using a fan that's designed to be used with a voltage much closer to your 7.5 output & DC current. You can usually find small electric motors at hobby shops. If you can't find a DC driven fan, you could always try using a rheostat (dimmer switch, variable speed transformer, etc...) but with higher voltage/amperage & AC current, you really should use a ground wire. Regards, Gf.

The fan you bought is designed to plug right in to a 120v outlet. You are trying to power it with a transformer that plugs in and drops your 120v to 7.5v. If you want the fan to work go buy a cord and a male end 120v plug and attach it to one end and to the fan on the other.

you can maybe control it with a dimmer light switch and regular outlet voltage, no transformer.

Yes, you could do that, but get a fan speed control instead. They are similar, but the speed controls are more heavy duty and made for fan motors.

would this really matter with a 4" muffin fan? considering the dimmer switches have been used a long time for ceiling fans and all.

i built a chiller out of pc fans and a thermostat and although it stated 12volt it wouldnt run. Luckily i bought the switchable AC adapter from radio shack that also allowed 7.5 volts and once i switched it over to 7.5 the 12 volt fans fired right up. Maybe the adapter was wired wrong i dont know but thats my two cents.

Latest posts

Back