New computer software rec's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenster

Reaction score
I'll be buying a new PC next week. Duo-core, 2G ram etc...
Dell offers XP, XP Pro, and Vista...so does Vista suck so bad that I should go with XP even on a new system?

Not doing Mac or Linux.

Thanks!

My husband bought a new Dell, and was hesitant to use Vista. But he did and he's had no issues at all, and in fact likes it. I'm still using XP on mine, and we're networked. I do like XP, but if I was buying a new computer, I wouldn't hesitant to get Vista.

I'm not a big fan of Vista, but you're probably better of just getting it. XP will likely go unsupported very quickly as the Vista train leaves the station at full bore.

Well if they hold out on XP as long as they did ME, you should still have a good 5 years of support for XP, but as big of a pile of **** Vista is, M$ is going to have to do something to get people off their good OS.

I've had XP Pro for a while. It's just like Windows (DUH!!), but Vista has changed so many of your common folders that there is a learning curve to overcome.

Just like everything else...if you learn it it's easy.

I really only use Windows for gaming. XP works fine. Personally I'm waiting for SP1 before I think about upgrading to Vista. At this point you're probably close enough to where you might as well just get Vista. It's inevitable that you'll need to have it soon anyway. Its not as horrible as people make it out to be. There was a huge driver shortage for it when it released and I think most companies have ponied up the drivers now. Now you could make yourself a happy camper and get an Apple:rockin:

Back