Is This Safe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerandguitars

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I used LD Carlson Easy Clean - No Rinse cleaning solution
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/easy-clean.html

on my brewing equipment before cooking and moving the wort into the primary for fermenting. As the instructions state on the container, I did not rinse the equipment I just let it air dry. The fermenting process went quite well based on gravity readings but I am realizing that I did not rinse and sanitize with Star San. The instructions say not to rinse the easy clean off though...I am transferring to keg tonight and wondering if it is safe to drink?

I am concerned that because I didn't sanitize with Star San that there may be concern about drinking it. Any thoughts?

Many people use the powdered cleaners as a sanitizer. It takes longer and is probably less effective than Star San, but should still do the trick. You'll be fine.

It's a cleaner and not a sanitizer so there is a definite chance of infection. but... an infection won't make the beer unsafe to drink. It may taste sour or funky but it won't hurt you.

Best case you got lucky and have a clean batch of beer.

Worst case you have an infected batch and it doesn't taste quite right but it's still safe to drink.

Next time use the cleaner then sanitize with something like start san or iodaphor.

Okay, well I used the Easy Clean for the keg and it left a residue so I used boiling water to wash it off...

Would you get sick if you drank beer with some Easy Clean residue in it? I believe I wiped down the fermenter after using it but perhaps it left residue in some other equipment.

Okay, well I used the Easy Clean for the keg and it left a residue so I used boiling water to wash it off...

Would you get sick if you drank beer with some Easy Clean residue in it? I believe I wiped down the fermenter after using it but perhaps it left residue in some other equipment.

IDK I guess it depends on how much. It should rinse off pretty easy with hot water. Tiny amounts of residue probably wont hurt you. I'd think it would taste pretty bad if it was in a concentration that would be harmful.

Back