New ESB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonRikkles

Reaction score
I've got a few bigger beers on the horizon (tripel brewing now, IIPA and Wee Heavy on deck), and I want to make an easy drinker to break things up. I've been enjoying a lot of ESBs lately and want to try my own. Here's my recipe. Let me know what you think. I'm going for a slightly heavy feel with a malty, nutty and toasty taste, hops to take a backseat.

OG: 1.062
FG: 1.019
SRM: 17
IBU: 39.2
ABV: 5.7%

Mash for 60 mins @154
60 min boil
Pitch around 68 degrees

6 lb Maris Otter
1 lb 2 oz Victory
6 oz Crystal 120
4 oz Biscuit malt

.4 oz Target @ 60
.2 oz Target @ 30
.25 oz EKG @ 10

Wyeast 1968 London ale

Any suggestions?

I have found with my ESB's that all Maris Otter and a bit a crystal is all you need. Maybe 5%-10% crystal and the rest MO makes a delicious beer. I have used EKG and Fuggles as well as straight Fuggles too both combinations were good. One buttering addition and a couple late boil additions.

I think you got too much toasty malt in there. Over 1lb victory plus the biscuit is a lot. I agree with forstmeister, MO + crystal is all you need, but if you want extra toast, i wouldn;t go over 5% victory/biscuit.

btw, will you be using the 1968 in any of the upcoming big beers? be easier re-using the yeast instead of building a big starter.

You should remove the 30 minute addition. ESBs should have a bittering addition, and an aroma addition. Nothing between 60 and 15 minutes in my opinion.

The next ESB I brew will have the following grain bill and hop schedule -

9.5 lb Marris Otter
0.5 lb Crystal 40
0.5 lb Crystal 80

0.75oz Warrior 60 minutes
1.00 oz East Kent Goldings 5 minutes

OG - 1.055
IBU - 40.4
SRM - 9.5
ABV - 5.7%

I think that is a great ESB grain bill and hop schedule. Nice bitterness and aroma, with the malt taking on the main flavoring since the hops are all either bittering or aroma additions. It also shouldn't be overly sweet, since the crystal makes up a small portion of the grain bill. I'd want this beer to finish at 1.011-1.012.

btw, will you be using the 1968 in any of the upcoming big beers? be easier re-using the yeast instead of building a big starter.

Definitely make an English Barleywine or IIPA for this yeast cake. Pitching on a big yeast cake is a great way to get good attenuation on a big brew.

Nah,you need a 20 minute addition for a good esb. I think you will find that 10% crystal and 10% soft brown sugar will make a fantastic esb mate.

Definitely make an English Barleywine or IIPA for this yeast cake. Pitching on a big yeast cake is a great way to get good attenuation on a big brew.

I wasn't planning to use this cake for my New Zealand IIPA; I was instead planning to use San Diego Super Yeast. That's not a bad idea, though. I'll either pitch it right on the cake, or harvest it in a jar for later use.

I have found with my ESB's that all Maris Otter and a bit a crystal is all you need. Maybe 5%-10% crystal and the rest MO makes a delicious beer. I have used EKG and Fuggles as well as straight Fuggles too both combinations were good. One buttering addition and a couple late boil additions.

Wait. Did you say buttering addition?

emma-watson-butter-beer.jpg

PhelanKA7 said:
Wait. Did you say buttering addition?

Dammit. I thought I fixed that. Oh well.

Also, I agree about reusing the yeast cake. I just pitched an ipa on my esb yeast cake last weekend and it went nuts.

To modify the hop additions would you recommend either of the following:

.4 oz Target at 60
.2 oz Target at 20
.25 EKG at 10

or

.4 oz Target at 20
.2 oz Target at 15
.25 oz EKG at 15

Thanks for all your help! This recipe just took 1st at the Malt Madness competition, English Pale Ale category!!!

I used the following:

3 gal:

6.5 lb Mariss Otter
8 oz Crystal 120
4 oz Victory

.45 oz Magnum @ 60
.3 oz EKG @ 20
.3 oz EKG @ 10

Wyeast 1968

Back