low alcohol . help please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woog11

Reaction score
Im brewing a canadian blonde. It started at a 1.042 5 days ago, and the past 2 days its been 1.012. I think thats only about 4%abv. Is it ok to rack into 2ndary carboy, or do i need to do something to get the alcohol up around 5%?
This was a extract, i added 1lbs of light malt and 1lbs of honey.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is my first homebrew. I also have more questions for later if this pans out,lol... skip in ar.

At 1.042 OG, you'd need to get to 1.004 FG for 5% ABV. Not gonna happen with an extract beer (most likely), and you probably wouldn't like it if it did.

1.012 is getting close to 75% attenuation, and if its not moving it's probably done.

If you want more ABV next time, boost the OG. As a rough rule of thumb,
(points of OG)/10 = ABV, assuming 75% attenuation.

So if you start at 1.050, ABV would be close to 5.0 (50/10)

4% is fairly normal. Take another hydrometer reading, if it stays the same 1.012 you can rack to your secondary.

Some beers just don't have THAT high of a starting gravity. The honey brown ale i am currently doing is about the same.

If you use Austin Home Brew for supplies, you can get their 1% alcohol booster which does't change the taste or color. You can always a more DME but that WILL.

Also, just look for kits that are suppose to have a higher starting gravity in the future, since you have 2 stage fermentation capabilities, this shouldn't be a problem.

your alcohol level isn't your determining factor of 'is it done?'...the hydrometer reading IS.

Thank you guys for all your help. Looks to me like i'm about ready for the secondary. These questions may sound a bit simple, but your trial and errors are priceless. Thanks again for your time and help. Skip in AR...

Back