American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PFlint

Reaction score
I'm thinking about trying my hand at a small partial mash. How does this sound for a light American Wheat beer?

1.5 lbs Malted Wheat
1 lb 2 row Malted Barley
3 lbs Extra Light DME
.25 oz Magnum Hops 13.5% AA 60 min
.25 oz Perle Hops 7.9% AA 30 min
.25 oz Perle Hops 0 min
American Ale Yeast

Also, a few questions about the mash. The Complete Joy of Homebrewing recommends a steep mash for a similar recipe (Sayandra Wheat Beer), I've heard that an infusion mash is sufficiant-- what do you all think? What level of mash efficiancy can be expected in a mash in pot and sparge in strainer type process?

I'm not sure that that would be classified as a wheat beer due to the low percentage of wheat.

IMO, you'd be better off using wheat DME and mashing barley only.

It fits 95% as an American Wheat...but very low on the low side of all aspects

Original Gravity 1.039 - 93%
Terminal Gravity 1.008 - 100%
Color 2.54 °SRM - 85%
Bitterness 20.4 IBU - 100%
Alcohol (%volume) 4.0 % - 100%

ScottT said:
I'm not sure that that would be classified as a wheat beer due to the low percentage of wheat.

That's the same logic as is a "hot dog" really a "hot dog" if it doesn't contain any "dog". :drunk:

I know...I'm just playing Devil's Advocate...shut up Bill...would you please be quiet while I'm talking to myself?

I'd call it a wheat beer simply to differentiate it from an all barley brew. :D

Maybe you could call it a "Wheabarley"? (Pronounced "whee-ber-ly) :drunk:
I just made that up, but you can use it. :D

hey HB 99, cut back on the Octoberfest! :~)

try using White Labs American Hefeweizen yeast with it. may give you more of what your looking for?

DeRoux's Broux said:
hey HB 99, cut back on the Octoberfest! :~)

try using White Labs American Hefeweizen yeast with it. may give you more of what your looking for?

Party Pooper!! :drunk:

Good call with the use of a Hefe Weizen yeast, but if he's looking for an American Wheat flavor then I would ferment at the lower end of the temp scale to keep the 'nanner (banana) flavor out.

homebrewer_99 said:
Good call with the use of a Hefe Weizen yeast, but if he's looking for an American Wheat flavor then I would ferment at the lower end of the temp scale to keep the 'nanner (banana) flavor out.

ah yes, good point 99 (i feel like i'm in an episode of Get Smart!). :D i've never used the American Hefe, but have heard people really like it for that style...

I believe I've got a copy of byo with a clone of Blue Star Wheat which is my favorite readily available American wheat. I've made it a couple of times and like it...I don't remember offhand which yeast strain it uses, but it's not a hefe. If pressed to guess I would say American Ale (1056).

edit...I'll post the recipe when I get home if I have it.

3.3 lbs. Briess Wheat Malt extract
1.0 lb. 14 oz Briess Light dried malt extract
0.5 lbs.wheat malt
0.5 lbs. pale 2-row malt
0.5 lbs. Carapils malt
3.3 AAU (0.58 oz) Cascade @ 60 min
4.8 AAU (0.84 oz) Cascade @ 15 min
2.8 AAU (0.5 oz) Casacde @ 0 min
White Labs WLPOO1 California Ale or Wyeast 1056 American Ale

i also saw another byo recipe for American Wheat that called for the White Labs American Hefe yeast.

I enjoy a good hefe as much as the next fellow (or maybe a little less), but I also really like a 'clean' American wheat without the hefe yeast flavors. I brewed that recipe twice last summer (once extract, once ag) and it really goes down well after a hot mountain bike ride or working in the yard.

i've never had it, but i'll try it this summer. there is ablue star brew pub in san antonio, but never been. heard the beer is so-so.

I think that pub may be different...Blue Star Wheat is brewed by North Coast over in Fort Bragg, CA (that Fort Bragg part always screws with me having grown up a stone's throw from THE Fort Bragg...).

DeRoux's Broux said:
hhmm? same logo and everything? i just figured it was a small chain or something, like Big Buck,

Is it? Beats me! Didn't know they were doing brew pubs, thought they only distributed beer. I really like their beer. Blue Star, Pranqster, Red Seal, Old Rasputin...all good in my book!

BeeGee said:
Is it? Beats me! Didn't know they were doing brew pubs, thought they only distributed beer. I really like their beer. Blue Star, Pranqster, Red Seal, Old Rasputin...all good in my book!

nope, i think your right. i checked the blue star brewing web page and checked the logo again. similar, but 2 different groups. my bad! :eek:

DeRoux's Broux said:
ah yes, good point 99 (i feel like i'm in an episode of Get Smart!). :D i've never used the American Hefe, but have heard people really like it for that style...

I'd rather have me an Agent 68 ;) or 69 :p (on tap) :drunk: !

Is Groves anywhere near Ft. Hood (Killeen, Coperas Cove area)? I haven't chcked my map recently.

If my schedule doesn't change I'll be there after Turkeyday for 2 weeks.

nope, we're on the upper Texas Gulf coast, just before the TX/LA state line. Ft. Hood is North of Austin. about 5-6 hours from here. IH-10 runs through my next of the woods from H-town to Baton Rouge. there is a good German eats place in Kileen, TX (Ft. Hood). ask around, because i can't remember the name of it.

I've been to several of them. Are you talking about the one attached to the grocery store? Been there.

We have a good German grocery store in Moline, IL, but it's only open like 3 days a week.

BeeGee: I've been to both Ft. Braggs also. :D

homebrewer_99 said:
I've been to several of them. Are you talking about the one attached to the grocery store? Been there.

We have a good German grocery store in Moline, IL, but it's only open like 3 days a week.

BeeGee: I've been to both Ft. Braggs also. :D
i don't remeber a grocery store?

if you have time for a little drive, you need to go to Llano and eat at Cooper's Old Time Pit BBQ. some of the best damn bbq Texas has to offer. they have a smoked pork chop that;s HUGE! got polish style suasage (like most Hill Country bbq joints). seems like every time i've been, there's a bunch of Rangers on their H-D's. Look for Real Ale Brewing Co. beer outta Blanco. Get the Pale Moon Rye Ale and the Brewhouse Brown ale. I know your the die hard German beer dude, but these are worthy! :p

Latest posts

Back