It's Summer. Oktoberfest time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
My lagerator only really has a 1-carboy capacity. Right now I've got a bock in there (brewed on 4/8), but I think I'll bottle it soon. Anyway, I've never done an oktoberfest before (didn't start brewing till last july, and didn't get a lagerator till this year), so I'm not positive on when I need to brew it so that it's ready by the end of Sept.

I also think we should try to nail down a definitive recipe.

So what are your plans? Do you have a tried and true Fest recipe? When do you plan on brewing it?

An Oktoberfestbier is brewed in MARCH (pssst...July starts next week).

It's a Märzen (mare-tzen) style. März is March in German.

The best you can do now to come close is a malty Irish Ale. :eek: (only you will know...OK, the rest of us here also...)

Dang. :( Oh well. Guess I'll have to just drink my bock. Sorry, I don't know no German. I know I've read that before in my research, but I just forgot.

So, what I don't know is what the 6-month lagering process does, as opposed to the normal 2-3 month period.

I'm not that worried about it. I have enough beer otherwise. Next year, then.

Just clarity and melding of flavors.

If you have the means to lager at 33F then I would still give it a try. No one (except us) knows what you've done.

Besides, do you have any friends who have been to the O-fest that would know the difference?

I've been to the O'fest at least a dozen times...so I would...maybe...I'd just show up for the brew! :D

I used to live only 40 miles from Munich. I went to one O'fest, 1975 - 4X (after work), '76 (about 3X), '77 (4x), '78 (2), '01 (1x), '02 (3X), and '03 (2X)...these are approximate number of times.

I was living back in Germany in '99 and '00 and would have gone but I was in Kosovo.

Yeah, my lagerator is a new chest freezer, so it can go pretty low. Maybe I'll try it out...but I might just wait till next year. Anyone have a good recipe?

I'm going to do somewhat of a faux Oktoberfest.
Maris Otter 81%
Aromatic 16%
Carapils 3%

Using SafAle US56, but will start fermentation around 62 F, then let rise for last 2 days for a diacetyl rest.

Not true to style, but wanted something similar to O-fest.

I did brew mine in March, out of convenience bottled it last night. I am guessing it is not going to make that much of a difference in the tail end of conditioning...but I could be wrong, time will tell. The sample tasted great though. A far cry from when it went into the secondary that's for sure :D

Mummm Marzen the only reason I want a lagering fridge. Im thinking of trying to brew one up with a clean fermenting Ale yeast and see what the product is.

My Octoberfest is in primary, so I'm definitely late to the party, too. Still, I thought I'd give it a try. I used the recipe that's in John Palmer's book, and I'll probably shorten the lagering time a bit.

You could brew an Oktoberfest style to drink NOT in October:eek: :eek:

I am planning one for later this fall...when I can get my ales out of the fridge and I can lager. Might do a decoction too...hmm.

Beerrific said:
You could brew an Oktoberfest style to drink NOT in October:eek: :eek:

I am planning one for later this fall...when I can get my ales out of the fridge and I can lager. Might do a decoction too...hmm.

HERESY! :D

Back