sending beer for competitions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingViking

Reaction score
Hey guys. I didn't see it in any searches but I wanted to know can I leave the state and send beer to a competition? I live in NJ and I went into the Homebrew Alley competition and it was awesome. I want to go into more competitions but there's not a lot in this area. To add to that I can't send beer legally in NJ. I just wanted to know can I go to say PA and go to fedex and ship it there or is there any loopholes you guys know about?

I'm not sure it's legal to ship beer from any state, but you are shipping "live yeast cultures", so I really wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure it's packed well and do not use USPS.

You should check with your LHBS/brewing clubs...they should know. But really....I can't imagine anyone really cares if someone ships homebrew to out of state comps. Just don't write BEER on the package.

To add to that I can't send beer legally in NJ.
Dunno. I'm from NJ and have sent my beer all over the country using UPS and never had a problem. I print out the lables at home and just drop off the box at the local UPS store. They've never questioned anything.

But who knows?
Someone could be waiting outside my house right now to bust me. :eek:

It's against the law to ship beer via USPS, so don't do that. But it's ok as far as I can tell from UPS, DHL, and FedEx.

I had an incident once where UPS must have discovered a problem, because they actually called me about beer leaking out of the box. I apologized for the leaking, and they sent the box back to me. Only one bottle was broken, so I repacked and resent.

Latest posts

Back