Post Junkies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shutupjojo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
There are a ton of great experienced brewers here and I respect you all.
However, there are also a ton brewers that assume the more posts they have, the more experience about brewing they have over someone who has only a few posts. It's silly I know but it bothers when I will post something and somebody responds with more posts than me automatically thinks I'm an amature based on how long I have been a member or how many posts I have. I was brewing 20 years before I even knew about this forum. Just sayin.:drunk:

That's post hoe to you...:D Seriously though,I base my assumptions on the question being asked. If it could truly be referred to as an assumption. I was always taught,if you don't know,ask. It bugs me when I relate something that works for me personally,& they come back with that "Oh no no no,Jamil,so-n-so,& so-n-so say you can't do that with xxx". I say,bull cookies! If it works for me,& that's what you're asking about,that'll be my response. I'll take personal experience over out of date book scratchins any day.:mug:

Example? I just went through the past dozen or so posts you've made in the past month, and don't see anything where I'd say someone was disrespectful or dismissive of anything that you've said.

Do people assume that high post count = expertise? Of course. Nature of the beast.

Now, I have a lot of posts, but anyone who's been here for any length of time knows I'm an idiot.

I just don't see what you're complaining about... :confused:

Me or the op? I get such things about starters or dex for re-hydrating dry yeast. Or some time ago,not using a secondary. Two hot topics where some flaming due to others knowledge being peddled as one's own abound.

The OP.

Some of those issues are pretty controversial, regardless. If you've got strong opinions on secondary-vs-long primary, you're going to get some people up in arms whether you have 100 posts or 10,000.

Yeah,I know. It just bugs me when you talk from experience,& they're quoting someone else as the only true gospel. Def annoying,to say the least.

The OP.

Some of those issues are pretty controversial, regardless. If you've got strong opinions on secondary-vs-long primary, you're going to get some people up in arms whether you have 100 posts or 10,000.

IMHO, you should really use a secondary post, otherwise you run the risk of your primary post developing off confused assumptions.

:cross:

Example? I just went through the past dozen or so posts you've made in the past month, and don't see anything where I'd say someone was disrespectful or dismissive of anything that you've said.

Do people assume that high post count = expertise? Of course. Nature of the beast.

Now, I have a lot of posts, but anyone who's been here for any length of time knows I'm an idiot.

I just don't see what you're complaining about... :confused:

Not just my posts, and there have been a few, but others as well. I don't belive high post count = expertise. Thats nonsense. Nobody has been disrespectful of me just sayin alot of peope here think they know more than others that haven't been here long. Also, I'm not complaining , I'm b!tching.:cross:

Like I said,I see your point,op. But the reverse is also true,ime. They see your high post count,then your join date. They then act like they think you're frontin or something. While I do learn quickly,I'm not the master brewmeister. I've carried over many things from my days of wine making. And learned a lot in a short time applying that to brewing ales. It's easy to me to learn something from every step of the brewing process.
But the trouble starts when I try to relate that. They don't want to believe it worked,whatever "it" happened to be. I just think you can't beat experience with book learning. It's kinda like high school industrial arts programs. You have the classroom "related" book learning. Then you go out into the shop to apply it to real world situations. Both are good,but you just can't beat experience.
I'd just rather not be flamed for it. I think this is what you're trying to say.

Like I said,I see your point,op. But the reverse is also true,ime. They see your high post count,then your join date. They then act like they think you're frontin or something. While I do learn quickly,I'm not the master brewmeister. I've carried over many things from my days of wine making. And learned a lot in a short time applying that to brewing ales. It's easy to me to learn something from every step of the brewing process.
But the trouble starts when I try to relate that. They don't want to believe it worked,whatever "it" happened to be. I just think you can't beat experience with book learning. It's kinda like high school industrial arts programs. You have the classroom "related" book learning. Then you go out into the shop to apply it to real world situations. Both are good,but you just can't beat experience.
I'd just rather not be flamed for it. I think this is what you're trying to say.
[/QUOTE

That's pretty much it. Thanks.:mug:

Gee, I didn't know anyone actually lived in Dundee. I thought it's sole reason for existence was to bottleneck traffic on the 99E!

And what about the purple house coffee shop? When is that going to open?

I just try to give advise or my opinion when I can.. i consider this a community or a almost a collegiate atmosphere where the sharing of opinions and knowledge is mandatory... I know in college if you came with a strong opinion you were questioned... It made you validate your opinion or change it!

I like to share knowledge I have firsthand, and absorb info where I need it. I rarely look at post counts, though. You can usually tell a blowhard without even looking at the numbers...

just wanted to make sure I posted in here to increase my post count.

kurtwill.jpg

Gee, I didn't know anyone actually lived in Dundee. I thought it's sole reason for existence was to bottleneck traffic on the 99E!

And what about the purple house coffee shop? When is that going to open?

We actually live up on Eola Hill in Amity. Our business is in the bottleneck town. Hopefully you know the back way around it. That guy who owns the purple house loves to screw with the city.:mug:

However, there are also a ton brewers that assume the more posts they have, the more experience about brewing they have over someone who has only a few posts. It's silly I know but it bothers when I will post something and somebody responds with more posts than me automatically thinks I'm an amature based on how long I have been a member or how many posts I have. I was brewing 20 years before I even knew about this forum. Just sayin.:drunk:

Yeah, whatever, newbie.

Oh, wait. You have more posts than me. You are the master. I am the grasshopper.

I agree that post count means nothing. Some of the biggest post-whores (me!) on here don't have nearly as much "good stuff" to say as some of the real experts!

Here's something to keep in mind (look at the post counts on these experts!):

http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/jamilz

AND

http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/Denny

Let's see. I have 715 times more posts than Jamil. I have 23 times more posts than Denny.

Jamil and Denny are my brewing idols. I'd definitely recommend listening to them and NOT me!

So, my theory is the MORE you know, the LESS you post. :)

sorry, you're going to need at LEAST 1,000 posts before we will believe this... ;)

I just spent 2 hrs in the Drunken Ramblings and Mindless mumblings section of this forum, I have no doubt that there are ALOT of people on here that have more posts in the "thread Killa thread" alone than I have in the whole of this forum, post count means nothing.:mug: Not that I know anything about anything or anything.

Sometimes, you have to give the readers credit. I can judge from someone's posts their knowledge and experience. I read through the threads to get a running base with which to judge my own decision.
Most thread arguments are one guy thinks it is black; the other thinks it is white. And others then jampile on. Generally, it is one of the infinite shades of gray in between. This goes for any forum of any kind.

Good rules to think about when reading:
-does a guy use "always" and "never" in his comments? He is probably closed minded and doesn't realize the universe rotates on "i before e" type rules.
-Some people think there is only one way to cook chicken. It was good this way, so all other ways must be wrong; correct? Lots of ways to skin a cat, and the same goes for brewing.
-Don't read one post and figure THAT must be the solution. Glean what you can from all the useful information, and make your own conclusion.
-If a person can't spell, never uses punctuation, and their comments are cohesive; they probably aren't going to be much help no matter their post count. A lot of dumb posters, even more drunk ones.

The only advice from Yooper you should ignore is her suggestion that she isn't an expert.

Differences of opinion directly create discussion on a subject. Sometimes posts don't help the discussion, but generally, since there are so many opportunities to things differently, you end up with a better understanding of the possibilities.

Flippantly dismissing other people's opinions just because you have 20 years of homebrewing experience (I started in 91) is just as bad as stating another way of doing things.

We owe it to the newer brewers to at least discuss the options and their pros and cons. And we should always remember that there are many cases where even the highly respected Professional Brewers do things differently from their peers.

Do you have specific examples of this ? Not saying it doesn't happen, but I never saw anyone say: "no this is wrong you noob, you only have 12 posts".

Do you have specific examples of this ? Not saying it doesn't happen, but I never saw anyone say: "no this is wrong you noob, you only have 12 posts".

That would crack me up if I saw someone say that. lol.

I think post count technically means how much time you spend on the site. Some people just have more time to cruise the net. Obviously you spend more time on the site and have read a lot if you have a high post count. As long as those posts are not from random chit chat and drunken mumblings threads then you must have learned something useful. So I would assume someone with x,xxx posts is more knowledgeable than someone with xx posts. It's just plain logical.

But in general, the content of the persons post is what will tell you more. I've seen members on here with a couple thousand posts that I think are about average in beer knowledge. And I've seen some with about 20 posts that I found to be very helpful and put some people to shame.

+1 to nobody in particular, I just need to increase my post count so I can try to look smarter than I really am to all of the noobs.

Post count asside, I know of a lot of good information that I have read on this forum from people with < 100 posts, and bad info from people with 10,000+ posts. I put very little faith in post count.

In my experience, a high post count in any online forum usually means a combination of three things:
1. The poster has a lot of free time to spend on the board
2. The poster likes to engage in conversation (for better or worse)
3. The poster has been around for a long time

Kurt

-If a person can't spell, never uses punctuation, and their comments are cohesive; they probably aren't going to be much help no matter their post count. A lot of dumb posters, even more drunk ones.

Sorry, that sentence is pretty funny. Did you mean incoherent?

I agree though, usually you can tell who knows what they're talking about.

There is a part of me that likes getting small trophies for short investments of time (video games are a good example).

This part of me thinks it would be fun to have a series of quizzes that you could complete to get little badges that would display next to your profile.

You could get a badge about caring for yeast through pitch rate, aeration and temp after completing the written exam for example.

Revvy could get a badge for telling people to relax and to use the search function before posting, etc&#8230;

The more rational side of me thinks that it would be about the same value as post count for determining expertise.

unless you have at least 5,000 posts, you don't have a damn clue what you're talking about. you need to spend less time brewing beer, and more time posting about brewng beer.

Back