Setting Keg Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
I am new to kegging and only have 3 batches kegged under my belt and have a quick question about getting the keg to the right pressure.

I wanted to put the keg on 13 PSI. I disconnected the gas line, set the regulator to 13 PSI and then reconnected it to the keg. Well this morning, 12 hours later, its only reading at 11 PSI. I assumed that if i set the regulator to the pressure I wanted and then hooked it up, it would eventually equalize to the pressure I set.

Now this isnt a big deal at all, but I'm just wondering what is the best/correct way to get the keg to the pressure I want. Should I hook it up to the keg and then dial in the pressure?

I have noticed that when it comes time to carbonating your beer in kegs, its alwasy best to make small adjustments to the regulator and then allow the regulator atleast a day to adjust. If you move the regulator from cold to room temp or vice versa, it will be affected. After one year of kegging, I'm finally getting a feel for the right carb levels. For me, even a 1 psi up or done is noticeable in terms of head/foam control.

I can set the reg to 30 psi. but if I put 6 kegs on the one line there;'s no way it'll stay there.

my suggestion is to now that it is plugged in and good, set it to 13 and itll be fine

I have noticed that when it comes time to carbonating your beer in kegs, its alwasy best to make small adjustments to the regulator and then allow the regulator atleast a day to adjust. If you move the regulator from cold to room temp or vice versa, it will be affected. After one year of kegging, I'm finally getting a feel for the right carb levels. For me, even a 1 psi up or done is noticeable in terms of head/foam control.

Okay, thats what I was thinking. The keg was carbonated and then stored before my old tank ran out. I just put the new tank in the fridge yesterday too. I'll check it tonight and adjust as needed.....

Back