Anyone ever add nasturtium flowers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
Just like the title says. Anyone ever add nasturtium flowers to their beer?

The edible petals add a kind of peppery spice to salads, I wonder what it would taste like as a beer addition?

I've tried them, but not in beer.

Might be interesting.

I would worry about this because I'm doubtful that cooking them would be tasty. I think you'd get to much vegetal matter doing this, though this is just a suspicion.

I was thinking of putting them in secondary, so no cooking would be involved.

For sanitary purposes, maybe I should freeze them first?

I'm of the opinion that if you let your yeast finish up in primary, then anything introduced in secondary won't have much to eat so won't be able to do much of anything.

But the yeast don't need to do anything to most of the stuff you might want to add in a secondary. Hops, spices, etc.

But the yeast don't need to do anything to most of the stuff you might want to add in a secondary. Hops, spices, etc.

Right, but i'm talking the bugs that can get introduced on your flowers, fruits, hops, etc.

I shoulda been more clear.

Oh, I see. Makes sense.

There are bugs, of course, that can eat stuff that yeast don't.

But you do have a better chance of avoiding infection after the alcohol has been produced by the yeast.

Oh, I see. Makes sense.

There are bugs, of course, that can eat stuff that yeast don't.

But you do have a better chance of avoiding infection after the alcohol has been produced by the yeast.

Right, fermented beer is a pretty low ph environment that isn't conducive to most bacteria or wild yeasts staying alive & active.

Latest posts

Back