Bud Light Clone - (Ducking for cover)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...Saying that is narrow minded makes it sound like I've never had a bud, or saying that I would never drink it just because its bud and I'm posting on HBT....Just call it a blonde and you'll fool all the brewers into trying it. ;)
You didn't say anything about Bud... what you said was

...A "nice light recipe" is pretty much a nice way of saying piss water...

I make nice light recipes more often than not. My friends don't buy and bring BMC because they know I make a damn fine beer that they'll enjoy.

I don't add coffee or strawberries or chocolate to my beers...but that doesn't mean I'm going to refer to those black, mucked up recipes as poop water.......

Oh yah! - That Young's Double Chocolate Stout is Hershy-Squirt Water!! :D

Youngs_Double_Chocolate_Stout_200.jpg

Anybody have any comments besides how wrong/stupid/sinful/waste of time it is to clone a BMC?
Not at all, I brew as a hobby. I get better beer than I can Buy, I get to adjust my beer to my taste, I brew what I like and what my friends like. BMC is still beer, not my taste, but still beer and millions drink it and prefer the style.

Bud is still the best selling beer in the US and the light American lager is a recognized style. I brew one for my Hard core BMC friends. Nothing wrong with that at all. I don't like stouts, does that make me wrong? Like Muncher, I brew a lot of light beers (in the summer) In the colder weather I do darker, richer brews

For BMC fans try this one it is very BMC and will give them a bit more flavor than they are used to, to work them up to what most on this board consider "good beer"

(Assumes 80% efficiency)
5.5 gal batch
SRM 2.5
Alc 5%

3# Pilsner
2# 6 row
1# Cara pils
1# Rice syrup solids
1# Flaked rice

.1 oz Hersbrucker 60 min
.5 oz Saaz 30 min
.5 oz Saaz 15 min

Wirfloc or Irish Moss
WLP840 American Lager Yeast

Ferment at 53 degrees for 4 weeks then lager 2 months at 36 degrees and you have BMC with a little extra flavor.

okay, i'm not from america so i got no idea what a bud light tastes like, let alone how to copy it. but if you just want to win the bet.. buy some budweiser bottles, remove the labels from them and sand the logo off the bottle tops, then put them in with a batch of something that you've made and actually like. then when he comes around to sample your work, pour it from the bud light bottle.

and even tho he is drinking real bud light, it's probable that he will say that it's okay but not quite as good.. human psychology being what it is.

Has anybody thought about using champagne yeast? It very dry and neutral and won't leave any esters which is what you'll be looking for in an American light lager.

First off, I can't stand how shady Bud, Miller, & Coors are as far as the ethics of their companies go. Watch "Beer Wars" & you'll see what I'm talking about. There are reasons why they are the #1 selling beer in the world...they sue up & coming craft breweries who can't afford to fight them off because of the legal costs even when they know they don't have a case...they dominate all the shipping & shelf space because they have 50 different ways of packaging the same crappy beer...the list goes on forever!

Secondly, I once did an experiment with my uncle who exclusively drinks Bud. I emptied out a can when he wasn't around & refilled it with water. He drank the whole thing & didn't even recognize the difference. If your flavor is off, just dilute it with some river water & you're flavor will be spot on.

What I would do is brew up a barleywine & tell him it's a Bud. Then make sure you have a camera to take a picture of his face on the first sip!

Hope this helps you.

This recipe was written by jim baker. Jim says he has this beer on hand
for that person who just insists Budweiser is the best beer. He serves up one of these and says: "I thought you said a bud like". Its a light crips ale that tastes remarkably like a butt......i mean bud, only better.

4lb extra light DME
1lb Rice syrup solids
1.5lb Dextrose
1.5oz Saaz Hops
1 tsp Irish moss, 1 tsp gypsum
Wyeast 1056 American ale yeast

Instructions:
In 2 gallons of water, add DME, Rice syrup soids, Dextrose and Gypsum and bring to boil. Add 1 Oz. of the Saaz Hops. Boil for 45 minutes, add Irish Moss and other 1/2 oz of Saaz Hops. Boil for a final 15 minutes. Top off to 5 gallons, Cool wort to 80 degrees or colder and pitch yeast. Ferment 10-14 days at 68 - 72 degrees. You can also go from primary to secondary after 4 days and leave in secondary 10 days or until FG is 1.010 - 1.012.

this may be father's day gift to my pops

Latest posts

Back