Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jupapabear, I'm inclined to disagree with the above and say something looks like it might be starting there. The bubbles are too big and look like they might be milky. How far along fermentation are you?

Can I get someone opinion on this? It's been in primary for like 6 weeks dry hopped last week.

It seems odd to me that after 6 weeks you have large bubbles like that and the bubbles don't look shiny to me. I think if it tastes good you should bottle it and drink it quickly.

It seems odd to me that after 6 weeks you have large bubbles like that and the bubbles don't look shiny to me. I think if it tastes good you should bottle it and drink it quickly.

I just went to dry hop one of mine, had an infection in one, and found this... start of another infection. Looks kinda like yours.

20140715_181913.jpg

Not sure yet added the hops to it anyhow. Might just go with all this. Does the summer bring on more infections? Figure I'll just keep on keeping on and go though what grain and hops I have, once done I might quit... I again can't afford to replace 4 sets of buckets, etc...

I had to dump 10 gallons recently. I understand the pissedoffedness. One bad batch shouldn't ruin the fun if you enjoy brewing. Bleach the everloving crap out of your equipment and relax. Think of the good batches.

I had to dump 10 gallons recently. I understand the pissedoffedness. One bad batch shouldn't ruin the fun if you enjoy brewing. Bleach the everloving crap out of your equipment and relax. Think of the good batches.

This is 3 batches now, and I have one fermenting as we speak which no doubt will be infected. I never used any equipment on the saison and it's still infected, so it's coming from the buckets or the air or ?? Time to drink more of what I still have.

Think I'll make the switch to glass carboys... I might just keg the 3 I have and when finished sanitize the crap out of it all and see what happens. Really frustrated right now.

I understand frustration. I am looking into finding a deal on several new fermentors. I got a few years out of the ones I have, they owe me nothing. Maybe will pick up a few glass big mouth bubblers for sours, etc. If you were local to me I would be interested in brewing with ya to see if we can change your luck.

My Turn,
The beer is a lager I had going over winter and forgot about.
Im curious to know if that's a "good" or sour beer infection or if I should be dumping the batch.
it looks to be a floating mass about an inch to inch and a half thick.

My wife had a sauerkraut batch going in the same room so it could be lacto in nature, I just don't know.

P1060493.JPG

P1060492.jpg

My Turn,
The beer is a lager I had going over winter and forgot about.
Im curious to know if that's a "good" or sour beer infection or if I should be dumping the batch.
it looks to be a floating mass about an inch to inch and a half thick.

My wife had a sauerkraut batch going in the same room so it could be lacto in nature, I just don't know.

is that an infection in a glass carboy???? just kidding. good or bad souring bugs are not readily identified by just looking at the pellicle. the souring bugs you can buy have been selected for taste over many years but there are probably many out there waiting to be discovered by someone by accident. yours may taste good or it may not, it may taste bad to you but someone else will like it and so on.

To any of you who post answers to the questions in this thread: How do you know all this? What resources are good for reading about infections? Any good links you can share? I've read several books and many articles, but never found the information that I see in this thread.

is that an infection in a glass carboy???? just kidding. good or bad souring bugs are not readily identified by just looking at the pellicle. the souring bugs you can buy have been selected for taste over many years but there are probably many out there waiting to be discovered by someone by accident. yours may taste good or it may not, it may taste bad to you but someone else will like it and so on.

Yep thats glass, i picked the infection up while racking to secondary.
So from what your saying I guess the best bet is to taste it.

thanks.

Yep thats glass, i picked the infection up while racking to secondary.
So from what your saying I guess the best bet is to taste it.

thanks.

i only said that because guys get an infected beer in a bucket then say "i'm switching to glass". an infection can occur in any type of vessel.

Brand new to this sight, and not seeing where I can start a new thread.. Just bottled a batch of summer ale 2 weeks ago. 1st and secondary used. Sampled today, and am noticing off flavors, and almost no carb. Was very careful w/ sanitation, and used carb drops. So it's a 2 part question... Any ideas?

Pfgonzo. I brewed a berliner where I soured in the kettle to a pH of 3.4. I then boiled for 60 minutes and split the batch to add fruit to half and dry hop the other half. The picture is what I saw when I went to dry hop. Still not sure how it got infected like that.

The fruit batch doesn't look like that? Berliner weisse yeasts, if you got a blend, often include lacto.

Yes but the boil should have killed all the souring bugs from the kettle souring.

Must have picked something up post boil.

I think I figured out what happened. On brew day I could only get down to about 80 degrees with my plate chiller and it took me about 3 hrs to get from 80 to 70 in my conical and I pretty much preselected perfectly for a lacto contamination. Next time I am rigging up a prechiller. I also transferred some of my base batch onto the batch with fruit to even them out a little. Either way, I think both batches will be tasty and I am going to the mother of all cleaning sessions once I am done with these batches and dedicate all the valves, gaskets, and hoses to sours just in case!

If you were to swirl your fruit, you may had not had this problem. Its likely that whatever is growing on top cannot grow on the bottom, it can't compete with yeast. So if you had then submerged once or twice a day by gentle swirling I bet you could have totally avoided that.

Just a thought

Cracked my stored Wyeast 3068 Whippensnappen today and discovered the yeast foam on the underside of the lid has turned dark. It wasn't in contact with the liquid, so unsure if this is mold or oxidation of some sort. Yeast is 35 days old, was top cropped and still looks/smells fresh. What do you guys think?

1406414044577.jpg

Cracked my stored Wyeast 3068 Whippensnappen today and discovered the yeast foam on the underside of the lid has turned dark. It wasn't in contact with the liquid, so unsure if this is mold or oxidation of some sort. Yeast is 35 days old, was top cropped and still looks/smells fresh. What do you guys think?

i've seen that before and it was not a problem for me.

Was that as far as the bottles were filled? They should be filled to within an inch or inch & a half of the top. Too much head space could contribute to that?...

Was that as far as the bottles were filled? They should be filled to within an inch or inch & a half of the top. Too much head space could contribute to that?...

Pictures are a little deceiving, The bottles are all filled to about an inch or so of the top. This is my 8th extract and haven't seen anything like it before.

Back