Black Sand Coconut Cascadian Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpatrickv

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast American Ale II 1272
Yeast Starter
I didn\\'t but it wouldn\\'t hurt.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
20 @68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @68
Tasting Notes
Coconut on the nose, some bitter and roasty notes that finishes with more coconut
This was actually my first beer I brewed and sort of went all out I suppose and came out very very well, one of my favorites still as well. Mash was at 154F and 1lb of shredded organic coconut was toasted and added to the mash for the full 60 minutes. 1lb of untoasted coconut was added to secondary when the beer was transferred, and there was no dry hops.

I wanted to really emphasize the coconut on the aroma on this beer and along with the late hop additions to the boil, it came out about how I wanted.

Fermentables
Amount
12 lb American - Pale 2-Row
2 lb American - Caramel / Crystal 60L
1 lb German - Carafa III
0.5 lb American - Chocolate
15.5 lb Total

Hops
Amount
2 oz chinook 60 min
0.5 oz Centennial 40 min
0.5 oz Cascade 30 min
1.5 oz cascade 2 min
2 oz East Kent Goldings 2 min
1.5 oz Centennial 2 min

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/5242/black-sand-cascadian-ale

How did this turn out? Looking for a good Coconut Ale to get going... this could be the one!

Out of the 28 or so batches of beer I have made,this its in my top two and has been remade 5 times now. It's bitter but the coconut adds a nice sweetness to balance it out. If you like black ipas and coconut I'm sure you would like this.

Would you happen to have an extra version…I only have 2 beers under my belt and I don't have the equipment for AG brewing.

I do not have an extract version nor would I know to go about converting the base grains to extract. I'll do some research and see if I can figure it out.

Edit:
I would use 9# of LME in place of the 2-row and then steep the C60,carafa III, coconut and chocolate malts.

As far as further in depth of extract, I can't really provide it as I skipped straight to AG when I started. Maybe somebody else can help out.

Just wondering, how are the oils from the untoasted coconut in the beer? They do much to stop head retention? You notice much?

Would like to brew this very soon. The brewers friend recipe link is different from what you posted. Which should I go by?

Use the recipe on brewers friend as I have modified it slightly over the years.

Back