Better Bottle Blow Off Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgortel

Reaction score
So I am brewing a Sweet Stout today and plan on primary fermentation in a 5 gallon Better Bottle.

Will a 1/2" blow off tube attached to an air lock (with the little criss cross at airlock opening removed to prevent clogging) be enough for blowoff....little concerned since I will have no headspace available.

OR should I rig up a large full sized blow off hose....i.e. a hose the size of the better bottle neck ID

How much trub was removed? It doesnt take much to clog a 1/2" line. If you use the 1/2" I would lightly place the stopper on, so if it does build pressure the stopper will just push out. Use an overflow container ( I use my boil kettle).

Thanks for confirming my fear......I already went ahead and bought some 1.75" OD tubing and some PVC elbows to rig up a full bore blow-off........

For all of my brews I use an orange carboy cap and 1/2" id tube for blowoff on my better bottles. I cut just a little off the top of the larger stem on the cap then heat the end of the tubing in a little boiling water and force it on. It fits very nicely.

I've never had a problem with it clogging but, then again, I'm very careful about not getting any hops/break material into the carboy. I also use fermcap-s so I very rarely actually get any blowoff no matter how vigorous the fermentation.

I've never used anything bigger than a quarter inch with my BB and not had a problem. I'm sure you'll be good to go with a half inch blowoff. Cheers!

For all of my brews I use an orange carboy cap and 1/2" id tube for blowoff on my better bottles. I cut just a little off the top of the larger stem on the cap then heat the end of the tubing in a little boiling water and force it on. It fits very nicely.

I've never had a problem with it clogging but, then again, I'm very careful about not getting any hops/break material into the carboy. I also use fermcap-s so I very rarely actually get any blowoff no matter how vigorous the fermentation.

Im using the same setup minus the Fermcap. 6.5 bottle here. So far no problems.

+1 for orange cap and tubing. I didn't have to heat or cut anything. Fits snug and I just run it into a half full growler for blow off.

So the orange cap fits nice and tight?

It snaps on fairly snug. When I first started using this setup a couple of years ago I wasn't certain it was tight enough so I'd tape the base but soon realized that it wasn't necessary. It's tight enough that the CO2 chugs away though the BO tube and when I have had blowoff it has all gone through the tube with no leaks at the top.

+1 for orange cap and tubing. I didn't have to heat or cut anything.

Yeah, I can get the tube on what would probably be well enough without heating but I like to get the tube pushed all the way down to the base of the stem just to be sure so I heat it a little (probably overkill).

Snipping a little off the top of the stem isn't really necessary either. I just like to have the full ID of the stem clear-on most of my caps the inner bore of the stem narrows just a little at the top.

Yeah, I can get the tube on what would probably be well enough without heating but I like to get the tube pushed all the way down to the base of the stem just to be sure so I heat it a little (probably overkill).

Snipping a little off the top of the stem isn't really necessary either. I just like to have the full ID of the stem clear-on most of my caps the inner bore of the stem narrows just a little at the top.

Oh I see. Yeah I'm definitely not able to do that. It goes about half way down, good enough for me!

Here's my contribution. I just shoved the tube into the bung. Taped the bung down for added insurance.

ForumRunner_20121125_173834.jpg

Back