First Time Cider Maker has Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ETCS

Reaction score
Hello,

First time cider maker. Just racked it form primary to secondary today. It was in the primary for about 2.5 weeks. Since I have never made cider before, I don't really know what it should look like at this stage. I can say that it has golden color to it and it smells kind of fruity and yeasty. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks.

Jeff

What recipe did you follow. At this young it will still need to age for a few more weeks minimum. It is most likely still cloudy from yeast suspension, wait till it clears then you can bottle and age in them.

The recipe I used is as follows:
5 gals cider form local orchard (Pasturized)
4 lbs sugar
Champagne yeast
I also put some pectic enzyme with it since the juice was heat pasturized.

I plan on letting it sit in the secondary for at least 3 maybe 4 weeks.

Thanks for the help

Wow, 4 lbs sugar and Champagne yeast. Your not starting small and simple that is for sure.
I think your on track, just let it clear until you can read a newspaper through it like a magnifier.
I would recommend you pick up a hydrometer, it really is a powerful tool, and it helps you learn what is really going on. In time you may be able to just wing it and "just know" what is going on etc.
With ciders I rack to secondary only after I hit the 1.000... level, and secondary is only to free my primary up.

--
david_42 - What you don't like ketchup? You ketchup hater you!

Thanks for the advice. I got the recipe from the owner of the local home brew store. So I thought I'd give it a try. We'll see.

Back