Absolute newbie lookin for help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've only ever brewed one batch of draught from a tin and I was wondering if anyone could help me get a decent alcohol content without my bottles exploding.

Currently using Brigalow Draught with cane sugar, 1tsp in each bottle to prime.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanx.

Most cans don't have enough malt in them to make a decent ale. The easiest way to deal with the problem is to use a can and 1 1/2 to 2 kg of the lightest dry malt extract (DME) that the store sells. Let the ale ferment for at least a week, two if you are bottling from the fermenter.

Is there a way to tell when it can be bottled without a hydrometer? I mean is waiting for it to stop bubbling enough or should I test the gravity?

Radarbrew said:
My experience with the canned malt and sugar is a quick beer, but not real good. They also have complete setups if ypu need equipment and all.:tank:

I have to agree actually. The one I used turned out pretty flavourless...
Kinda like a watery, sweet version of beer, but not quite.
Not to apetising.

Well, you could wait it out about a week in primary, the same for secondary, given the ingrediants, or just roll some dice and go with those numbers. Serously, a hydrometer is a REAL good investment. It saves on buying new bottles after you've used the old ones for grenades. :)
From a couple clues, I'm guessing a U.K. brewer? You have gotta get to a homebrew store, not the local grocery place. Invest in some equipment, and you'll be happier with the end product, trust me.
:mug:

Back