Who carries the best extract kits ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BronxBrew

Reaction score
Out of all the online vendors out there. Who do you feel carries the best kits? What I meet by best was the quality of ingredients.

I like AHS selection and the options are useful. Don't ship the liquid yeast ground. Too hot down there even with the ice pack.

I believe most are probably Briess even though they may be under their own name. I know Norther Brewer and Midwest both sell good extract. They have high turnover on their LME and that is what really matters. I assume AHS is the same. I have always used Briess for DME. I always try to stick with Briess, but of course that may be a Wisconsin thing.

I believe most are probably Briess even though they may be under their own name. I know Norther Brewer and Midwest both sell good extract. They have high turnover on their LME and that is what really matters. I assume AHS is the same. I have always used Briess for DME. I always try to stick with Briess, but of course that may be a Wisconsin thing.

Funny that you threw Briess out there. That is the brand that came with my kit. Added also was Wyeast smack pack. Seems like my LHBS is including decent stuff although not as cheap as say Northener. Like you said some have there own brand and i was interested if the quality was different.

I found a different LHBS but they only offer kits called "True brew kits" With Muttons LME.

I use Northern Brewer/Briess extract exclusively. It's always very fresh, and produces excellent beers.

As far as recipe kits go, I've tried a few Northern Brewer kits and they were great. My brother-in-law brews a lot of Austin Home Brew kits and loves them. I tried two of the beers that he brewed from AHB kits (Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout clone and a double IPA), and they were awesome.

Only ever used Austin Homebrew and can't complain. Good people over there too.

This. When I was making extract kits, I went through AHS and was very pleased. They only screwed up one order out of many, and they quickly made it right.

Funny that you threw Briess out there. That is the brand that came with my kit. Added also was Wyeast smack pack. Seems like my LHBS is including decent stuff although not as cheap as say Northener. Like you said some have there own brand and i was interested if the quality was different.

I found a different LHBS but they only offer kits called "True brew kits" With Muttons LME.

Not really. They are pretty well known and respected. They are one of the few "name" brands in LME.(I still could be wrong about NB and Midwest repackaging Briess LME.) The only 2 I have come across are Briess and Muntons. Other than canned extract which I have never used.

I've only used Brewer's Best kits so far, and I've been pretty happy with them. They seem to be pretty much the only kits available near me though.

However, I'm thinking about checking out this place Annapolis Homebrew this weekend. I haven't tried them yet, but they apparently have their own kits that they develop themselves with higher quality ingredients: http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shoprecipekits101.asp

I've only used Brewer's Best kits so far, and I've been pretty happy with them. They seem to be pretty much the only kits available near me though.

However, I'm thinking about checking out this place Annapolis Homebrew this weekend. I haven't tried them yet, but they apparently have their own kits that they develop themselves with higher quality ingredients: http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shoprecipekits101.asp

I think it was briess... myLHBS owner sells it,,, plastic caned stuff,,, but in his opinon it was "watered down"...

I duh-know since I am no chemist... but I bet there is one on this forum...

Annapolis Homebrew is way overpriced...and they are using the same ingredients as everyone else.

My fav is Northern Brewer...I have also bought kits from Austin Homebrew...I prefer Northern's recipe's over AHS.

+1 to Briess. That has quickly become the only DME we use. Consistent quality and flavor...very nice stuff indeed.

Annapolis Homebrew is way overpriced...and they are using the same ingredients as everyone else.

You might be right actually - after looking through all of them, it seems like you're just paying a premium for their tried and true recipes. They repackage the ingredients and don't give out the ingredient list or the recipe itself. Not that you probably couldn't reverse engineer it...

I don't know if there is a BEST kit. They are all good. A friend of mine is pretty loyal to Northern Brewer, another friend of mine gets a lot of MoreBeer. Personally, I always go with Austin Homebrew. They have so many kits, both Commercial clones and their own recipes. It all depends on who you ask. If you ask me I'll say AHS. Simple as that.

You might be right actually - after looking through all of them, it seems like you're just paying a premium for their tried and true recipes. They repackage the ingredients and don't give out the ingredient list or the recipe itself. Not that you probably couldn't reverse engineer it...

Its my LHBS (like 1 mi away), so I'll defend them real quick. Their kits are all inclusive, so the caps, priming sugar and smack packs are all in the price. There is a premium there ($1-2/kit). Having said that, I've never bought one of their kits because they are so tried and true. Id rather experiment and pay a little less.

That's kind of where I was going with the post. Looking to see what brands make a quality kit. I have the one kit I bought from my LHBS and one on the way from Midwest. Will also try Northerner when the time comes. I've held off on my first brew because of the heat. I ordered a temp control from Midwest and it should be here tomarrow. So my first brew day will be Sunday. Every time I think I'm ready. Something pops into my head I think I need "yeast starter". OCD on my part.

I'd rather have fresh ingredients compared to old name brand ingredients.

Go with kits from high volume retailers, most of which have already been named.

I have bought kits from Austin Homebrew and Northern Brewer and had success with both. Both seem to have fresh ingredients, quick shipping and directions that make it very difficult to mess up. I haven't tried any other sites but I have read here that some like Rebel Brewer too. Almost any kit you are looking at has some sort of thread on here so don't be afraid to ask before you buy.

Cheers!

Has anyone mentioned Boomchugalug.com? I got two kits from them last month. They are both in the bottle now, can't wait to try. A friend in NC recommended them, but I had never heard of them.

I've used Midwest, had really good results. (Really good CS, call in an order and been able to get even cheaper shipping 20-30$ less the than what others have offered)
I've ordered a few from Northern, have yet to brew them.

I was looking at some from Austin, however the shipping costs are a bit prohibitive. Perhaps after I finish up the items already in the queue I will order a kit from them.

(to be fair Alaska is a bit of a pain for any HBS to ship to...)

My fav is Northern Brewer...I have also bought kits from Austin Homebrew...I prefer Northern's recipe's over AHS.

Its my LHBS (like 1 mi away), so I'll defend them real quick. Their kits are all inclusive, so the caps, priming sugar and smack packs are all in the price. There is a premium there ($1-2/kit). Having said that, I've never bought one of their kits because they are so tried and true. Id rather experiment and pay a little less.

have ordered multiple kits from them and can say they were all excellent. yes they are more than northern brewer and midwest but i have to say they were worth the price. I will be ordering from them again. I brew 10 to 15 batches a year for the past 4 years and have done 2 or 3 per year from them. Cervesa and PA lager are great and I am required by wife and friends to brew these yearly. Belgian wit is also very good have done it twice. An extra couple of bucks two or three times a year is not worth me fretting over the price, they are good and are worth it. main company I order from is northern brewer and have not had a bad kit at all. Midwest and Austin both are very good as well

Well i have got the Midwest kit in to compare to my LHBS kit. Not to say Midwest isn't right. My LHBS hops came vacuumed packed. Also my yeast was cold packed. My LHBS extract was Briss. Midwest was a half gallon milk container of relabeled extract. LET ME SAY THIS ! I am not downing Midwest. Infact it may not matter one way or the other. This is where i was going with my post. Was/is there a big difference in product.

True Brew kits are great. I've made a lot of them and find them to be on par with anything at Northern Brewer or Midwest (haven't tried AHS). My LHBS carries True Brew and they're all I used for awhile.

I order mostly from Northern Brewer simply because my LHBS isn't very local and I don't like making the drive. I tend to order my ingredients in bulk too so kits aren't really an option nowadays.

Don't be afraid to give the True Brew kits a try. I like their double IPA and their Red Ale a lot.

Tried Austin, after two weeks I canceled the order for three of their kits. No email or communication on why the massive delay. Midwest is ok, I dont care for the candi sugar they include in their kits. Seems northern brewer gets most of my business. Rebel brewing I've bought syrup from, good and fast.

I have two HBS close to me, one makes their own kits and the other has switched from True Brew to Brewers Best. So far, I have only brewed two of the True Brew kits, and both were simple and turned out good. My next kit is on the way from Northern Brewer.

One of the nice things I liked about my LHBS kits. The fact they vacuum packed the yeast. The extract was Briess but in 3.3lbs containers . Makes for easy warming. Also they ice packed the yeast. The brewing list was very well done also. My Midwest kit "while nice" didn't come with the little details. If its fresh it shouldn't matter. I have the two to compare. I will also order from Northern.

Thehomebrewbarn has pretty good kits. A lot of true brews but they have a good selection of there own

Has anyone mentioned Boomchugalug.com? I got two kits from them last month. They are both in the bottle now, can't wait to try. A friend in NC recommended them, but I had never heard of them.

I ordered two kits from Boomchugalug. Talked to the owner on the phone and he was very helpful. I have read reviews where the customers say he will help create custom recipies for them. They have high abv for their beers and I got the impression that I could talk to him for a long time and learn a lot. I am really looking forward to brewin his kits. I got an apricot wheat for the Misses and a winter warmer for me. A little more expensive but higher abv. I think it'll be worth a few bucks. Ingredients seem fresh.

I've done a few Midwest kits. My fav was the Octane IPA which I tweaked with honey and brown sugar. I think their ingredients are fine and I had no problems at all. Fast delivery. Good prices. I got my equipment from them and am very pleased with it all. And I appreciate that they often have 10% sales. Or free shipping or other promos.

Got 2 AHS recipies fermenting right now. Their ingredients seem fine also. I do like the reusable containers the LME comes in. I use one for a blow-off bucket. They do have nice options and accommodating customer service. I like that they put kits on promo and knock off the prices a good bit.

Back