consistent carbination, better head retention?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
i've had a couple of recent brews (one was an apricot wit and the other a belgian wit) that have been really inconsistent with carbonation and very little head retention. the apricot wheat i know is probably because i forgot to add the priming solution until it was almost done siphoning; used the siphoning tube and turkey baster to try and mix it in without aerating it too much. some bottles are okay and some... not so much.

any tips on getting good, consistent carbonation and head retention? any specialty grains i could use or techniques i can do to improve these characteristics? thanks!

What I do to mix priming solution is put it in the bucket first, then rack into the bucket. That's it.
Caramel/crystal malts can aid in head retention, as can just a touch of wheat DME or LME (or wheat itself if you're mashing). Try replacing .5-1 # of the base DME (or LME) for wheat DME (or LME)

Just a thought, but as to the head retention thing, how do you clean your beer glasses?

Back