any advice on comings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sucram2202

Reaction score
I was brewing a double batch. I mashed in what is normally my boil kettle and the false bottom for it really sucks. All kinds of grain matter got through and to top it off I ran out of whirfloc! So I'm thinking about giving finings a shot. Should I fine before or after I dry hop? Does anyone have any general advice about finings? I've never used them before.

The only advice I can give on comings is to watch your goings.

As for finnings, they work. Lots to choose from. Whirlfloc is a finning agent.

Yea, my autocorrect changed finings to comings. Sorry for the confusion. And the slighty sexual connotation.

Yea I normally use whirfloc in my boil but like I said, I ran out. So I'm specifically looking for advice on finings that you use post fermentation, like gelatin, and isinglass.

They all do their work post boil. Most, if not all, have a helical formation and an atracting electrical charge. They draw/grab the proteins in electrically and the trap them inside the helical coil as they constrict during cooling.

All the boiling stage does is "bloom" or open up the agent in use. Which can be done outside the kettle.

Back