Degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Just bought a degasser, when are these used in the fermentation process? I'm guessing just after fermentation and then let it sit in the carboy for a while?

Depends on what kind of wine you are making and how long you intend to hold it in the carboy.

Kit wines require it before fining and grape wines don't require it if you let it sit a year or so.

I've used one in my kit wine. It should be used after the primary fermentation has stopped. There are several ways to stop the yeast from going, but adding a yest stopper works good on kit wines - this should be contained in a small package like the yeast...

I usually make my wine from organic fruit juice, though I don't think i've ever made a "Grape wine" as it were but usually make fruit wines from combinations instead.
I'm guessing that's probably as good as a kit wine, so I'll degass before removing the yeast and leaving it to age etc. :)

Rob, what kind of "degasser" are we talking about? Is it a powered stirring device or a vacuum system?

Degassing is usually done after the wine is completely done fermenting. Degassing will help the sediment drop out so that you get a clear wine. Most wines are "still wines" (no CO2/carbonation). The exception being sparkling wine or champagne. Carbonation in a still wine is viewed as a fault. Usually extended aging before bottling will allow the CO2 to escape naturally, but wines that are rushed along don't have the time to degas and are often degassed using physical methods (e.g. kits).

I usually make my wine from organic fruit juice, though I don't think i've ever made a "Grape wine" as it were but usually make fruit wines from combinations instead.
I'm guessing that's probably as good as a kit wine, so I'll degass before removing the yeast and leaving it to age etc. :)

How do you "remove" the yeast?

Latest posts

Back