11.5% ABV --> 13% ABV. How much Bourbon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppocrates

Reaction score
I am brewing a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout clone. I need to raise my 5 gallons from an ABV 11.5% to 13%. Anyone know how I calculate how much bourbon this will take?

Thanks.

That is going to have a very strong bourbon flavor...usually a few shots per 5 gallons is enough to give the right amount of flavor.

If you really want to boost the ABV you should boil up some dextrose or DME and add it

Hmmmm, 1 liter is a lot. But I talked with the Goose Island brewers and they said the beer goes from about 11/11.5% ABV --> 13% ABV from the bourbon in the barrels. I guess there probably is quite a bit of evaporation too that helps increase the ABV... Also, in Zymurgy Founders also says their KBS goes up about 1.5% from the bourbon in the barrels...

Thanks for the input.

Who cares if the ABV is a little off?
I say just add bourbon until the taste is where you like it
... an then add a bit more.

This beer is going to be something that you'll want to let age, so you should over do it a bit now to get it to where you want it to be in 6 months

Who cares if the ABV is a little off?
I say just add bourbon until the taste is where you like it
... an then add a bit more.

This beer is going to be something that you'll want to let age, so you should over do it a bit now to get it to where you want it to be in 6 months

True, again.

Back