When to add roasted malts to mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cee3

Reaction score
According to Palmer's How To Brew, 3rd Ed., when discussing using roasted malts like chocolate, black and roasted barley, he states,

"These highly roasted malts contribute a bitter chocolate, coffee, or burnt toast flavor to brown ales, porters, and stouts. Obviously, these malts should be used in moderation. Some brewers recommend that they be added toward the end of the mash to reduce the acrid bite that they can contribute."

Does anyone add their roasted malts to the mash at any time other than the beginning? If so, when and how do you add them?

i always just add them in the beginning...if you want less of that flavor, add less. there are other options tho. addding them late could work, i guess, but i don't see it as making a signifant difference. look into cold steeping.

also, i get better color from my carafa II when i grind it to a fine powder and sprinkle it on top of the mash. you get more color out of it...a trick my friend taught me.

Back