Which Grain Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
millstone said:
I put Plexiglas on the sides of my MonsterMill as well, love to watch the grain run thruough it. Looks like you changed out the thumb screws, what did you replace them with and how are they working?

tom

I used allen headed screws and they work great, I had to use something different because of the Plexiglass was to thick for the thumb screws.I am using a drill right now but am going to mount it to the stand I have and use a motor.

I just recently got a Corona Mill for Christmas (like your #2), and have done two batches with it, both weighing in at about 82% efficiency, which my buddy and I are pretty happy with :)

Brad

brad.maynes said:
I just recently got a Corona Mill for Christmas (like your #2), and have done two batches with it, both weighing in at about 82% efficiency, which my buddy and I are pretty happy with :)

Brad
Another Brad who is pro-corona! :mug:

I love my BarleyCrusher. $126 delivered from Northern Brewer (shipping might have gone up $2 since I bought it). I've got just the 7# hopper, I may expand it in the future but it works though the grain so fast I don't mind refilling halfway through. Works right out of the box with no modifications, and gives an excellent crush.

the_bird said:
I love my BarleyCrusher. $126 delivered from Northern Brewer (shipping might have gone up $2 since I bought it). I've got just the 7# hopper, I may expand it in the future but it works though the grain so fast I don't mind refilling halfway through. Works right out of the box with no modifications, and gives an excellent crush.

Same here. 7# works well enough for me. Fantastic product.

scottthorn said:
I don't want to thread-jack, but I recently did the drill-mod on my Victoria (Corona) mill. I found a bolt with the same threading, hacked off the end, and used a grinder on one side so the drill would have something to hold on to. Unfortunately, my drills were not up to the task. I used both a corded and an 18v cordless (with a fresh battery!) and while both could give a nice burst they quickly slowed to nothing and started to overheat and make horrible sounds. I tried it with a full hopper, and with a minimal amount of grain. Seems like it needs more power to maintain a continuous crush, but I've read plenty of accounts of folks running a drill. Can anyone enlighten me if I'm doing something wrong?

Most cordless drills these days have two speeds, you want to make sure you're on the low speed. A corded drill should give you plenty of torque to run a mill -- unless it's one of those $20 quarter-inch Black & Decker jobs -- maybe try a different drill? If you can get or borrow a half-inch drill, that would be ideal, they usually turn pretty slow and are powerful enough to stop a runaway bus and you can get 'em at pawnshops for ten bucks.

A friend gave me this dinky little Glatt mill, which gives me a helluva workout grinding up a 10-pound grainbill but seems to do a great job. I'm really hankering after that oatmeal flaker, though, from Lehman's! Hmmm ... I could get that rascal, sell my Glatt for fifty bucks and for a net $38 I could start flaking my own oatmeal, just as thick as I like it. Hmmmm .....

Back