First "session beer" turned out good!lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon

Reaction score
I am used to brewing imperial stouts and full flavored IPA's. I brewed a session beer I named the "sorta sierra". You will laugh.
4.5 gallons

2 lbs Extra light DME
3 lbs corn sugar
4 oz Cascade hops- 30 min, 15 min, 5 min, Dry.

White labs irish ale yeast starter.

I have never brewed a beer with so little in it, and with so much sugar!

Bottled it 2 weeks ago, cracked one last night. It was green, but it tasted good! Only about 4.3 ABV, right on target for a session beer I guess.
I was so sure it would taste like crap. Hope someone gets a laugh out of this.
:mug:

LOL, eh? Why don't we take this to its logical conclusion...

cheezydemon said:
IM USED 2 BREWNG IMPERIAL S2UTS AND FUL FLAVORAD IPAS1111!111 LOL I BR3WED A S3SION BER I NM3D DA SORTA SEIRA1!!!1111 U WIL LAUGH
211!! LBS 3XTRA LIGHT DME
3 LBS CORN SUGAR
4 OZ CASCAED HOPS- 30 MIN 15 MIN 5 MIN DRY
WHIET11!!!1 OMG WTF LOL LABS IRISH AEL YEAST STARTER
I!1!1111 WTF HAEV NEVAR BREWAD A B3R WIT SO LITLE IN IT AND WIT SO MUCH SUGAR
BOTL3D111!111 LOL IT 2 WEKS AGO CRAKED ON3 LAST NIGHT1!!!!1 WTF LOL IT WAS GREN BUT IT TAST3D GOD1!111!! OMG WTF ONLY ABOUT 4311!!! WTF ABV RIGHT ON TARGAT FOR A SESION B3R I GU3S
I11!11 WTF LOL WAS SO SUR3 IT WUD TASTE LIEK CRAP111!!! WTF LOL HOPA SOMEONA G3TS A LAUGH OUT OF THIS1!!!!!! OMG

Man, I love the AOL'er translator. Freakin' sweet. :rockin:

Anyway, yeah, session beers are great. I'm surprised that, with no specialty grains, it turned out so good. Nicely done...

Someone has to ask:

Why not just 5lb of light DME? Or even 4lb DME, 1lb sugar for the alcohol boost without effecting flavor... Normally when raw sugar outweighs malt, the beer comes out not so good. "Cidery" would be the common descriptor.

And let's remember, "good" is a relative term, so what tastes good to the OP (brewing 60% sugar 'beers') might not taste good to the general population.

I'm guessing this somewhat worked out b/c its a pretty hoppy brew, including dry hopping, etc. will cover up some of the not so desirable flavors.

I still think this would be improved, without much additional cost, by using a min. of 4lb DME and maybe steeping some Crystal 10L for a bit... but thats just my .02.

Indeed! But it was a matter of cost and what I had on hand. I actually brewed 3 beers at once and this one was the left over, hand me down, "lets just see if this works" beer.

Believe me, if I have had a fault up to this point it was putting too much grain in each beer. My average ABV is somewhere near 8% using almost no sugar at all.
I am as surprised as you, and I am pretty picky.

Wow, I thought you guys were having some sort of hop crisis, 4oz of cascades seems like quite a bit for a beer that had such small promises of even tasting like beer - I'd have been scared of wasting them, but then again I'm a tight-arse. Lol, good on ya for making it work though... heh, that AOLer translater's rediculous. :drunk:

I know! So sorry to any who are cursing my name right now!
Prices had risen, but I had heard no news of a crisis at the time they were purchased.
Forgive me!!!!! All will be consumed.......dear god.....dare I mention that....there was a little too much hop bitterness in it!!!!Oh THE HUMANITY!!!!!!

It is like in "Dumb and Dumber" when lloyd says that his hands are getting sweaty from the extra pair of gloves he is wearing.(they are both standing over a fire out in the frigid night, Harry[is that right?] begins to strangle lloyd for having "extra" gloves when he is freezing)
"AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH" screams Lloyd" Your hands are Freezing!!!!!!

Frigging Classic. I think it is the funniest moment in the film.........Huh?? Off Topic?.....What the ...AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Latest posts

Back