Oops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaProud

Reaction score
OK the wife and I are playing around with <1 gal recipes using juice concentrate, using various yeasts and additives.

Anyway she left the cap on a fermenting bottle last night before putting on the ghetto airlock(balloon). Needless to say it was blown up like a football this morning! We lucky we didn't have a mess to clean up. Seems to be fermenting happily now.

My question is, will the 12 hours of pressure have any adverse effects on the fermenting or taste etc...

Ghetto airlock:
2013-03-0295172757_zpsedb92028.jpg

Lol, yes there is stress put on the yeast when they undergo large ammounts of pressure. But, since you caught it quickly, and the pressure is far less than what you get in a beer or champagne bottle, you should get no ill effects.

Now you've got me wanting to do quick 1 gallon batches. Sounds like good times! Because what I clearly need is more wine in my house. haha.

Now you've got me wanting to do quick 1 gallon batches. Sounds like good times! Because what I clearly need is more wine in my house. haha.

One gallon batches take the same amount of time as 5 gallon batches. Granted there are some recipes which tend to have quick turnaround(90 days or so), like Skeeter Pee, jam wines, Joe's Grape Mead, hibiscus wine, etc.

One gallon batches take the same amount of time as 5 gallon batches. Granted there are some recipes which tend to have quick turnaround(90 days or so), like Skeeter Pee, jam wines, Joe's Grape Mead, hibiscus wine, etc.

I meant more as in quick as far as prep. I can pick up a gallon of juice, add some sugar, yeast, and let it go in a half hour after work. I can do that once a week if not more. :)

I meant more as in quick as far as prep. I can pick up a gallon of juice, add some sugar, yeast, and let it go in a half hour after work. I can do that once a week if not more. :)

But five gallons of juice takes just a few minutes to throw together, you are just opening four more containers and adjusting gravity. Granted one gallon is easier to justify financially, takes up less space & easier to physically handle unless you have a vacuum pump (though you can use pump on gallon batches).
Gallon batches are fun, especially for experimentation; and then you kick yourself a year later when you are drinking a bottle of awesomeness and wish you had made 5 more gallons of the stuff. I still make several one gallon batches annually, it is just the kitchen tinkerer in me. And I definitely make larger batches of my favorite one gallon successes--raspberry mead at top of list.

Back