what is the relationship between Carapils and Corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

progmac

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing (i've made 2 batches) and am working on a simple cream ale. What I've come up with (beer smith) uses a pound carapils and a pound flaked maize. Reading around I've noticed some talk about corn and carapils having conflicting qualities. But I've struggled to figure out what this means. What am I missing?

I'm new to homebrewing (i've made 2 batches) and am working on a simple cream ale. What I've come up with (beer smith) uses a pound carapils and a pound flaked maize. Reading around I've noticed some talk about corn and carapils having conflicting qualities. But I've struggled to figure out what this means. What am I missing?

Carapils is used for head retention and foam stability in beer. Corn gives a very light flavor and is used to lighten the body of a beer.

I think of Carapils as adding a little body, too. That may be where the perceived conflict comes into play; carapils adds a little body, corn lightens it up. You can also use a small amount of wheat malt (like, a half-pound) to help enhance head retention/stability, and wheat doesn't really add to the body (and the beer won't taste "wheaty" at that quantity).

thanks, that answers my question precisely.

based on your comments, the_bird, i think I will swap out the pound of carapils for a half pound of briess white wheat malt. so my grain bill will be like: 1# 6-row, 0.5# white wheat malt, 1# maize flakes.

I also see wheat flakes, what advantage would these give instead of the wheat malt? I am doing a partial mash

Typically you see that with corn people will use 6-row. Wheat flakes are, "easier" to work with then wheat for many brewers.

Back